BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Captain

Default Yarrick's Powerfield

Commissar Yarrick's powerfield forces the reroll of successful wounds but this can get wonky in the shooting phase. That's fine and dandy but here's the question, at what toughness are those rolls resolved? Is it Yarrick's stat or the dominant stat of the unit? Yarrick is T4, most guardsmen are T3, and Ogryns are T5 so it matters whether it is resolved against the dominant toughness of the unit or against Yarrick's own value.

I was under the impression that Yarrick's field didnot work against shooting attacks, since you are rolling to wound against the unit, not Yarrick specifically. Edit: When Yarrick is attached to a unit naturally, solo it works just fine.

In CC it makes sense to use T4.

Brother-Sergeant

The method I always used was allocate wounds, then re-roll those that were allocated to Yarrick. Of course, I hardly ever run him any more, so I'm not sure what current thinking is. I also tend to get hit by weapons that would wounds him on a 2+ anyway, so it never came up what toughness to use.

Brother-Captain

The field works on all wounds allocated to Yarrick. In assault it doesn't matter as he's an IC, but wounds from shooting go on the majority toughness. It just seems odd to use a toughness other than Yarrick's own to determine the reroll on wounds that have been allocated to him.

Interesting, what happens if you put 1 wound on Yarrick and 2 wounds on another model, re-roll the wound and now you have allocated 2 wounds to one model and 0 to another before you take saves...

Brother-Captain

Interesting, what happens if you put 1 wound on Yarrick and 2 wounds on another model, re-roll the wound and now you have allocated 2 wounds to one model and 0 to another before you take saves...
    Exactly the kind of grey area I worry that I'm cheating in. You can't reallocate the wounds onto Yarrick as you could just make those go away too. Especially if he's in a group of normal guardsmen and you decide that it's legit to reroll against Yarrick's own toughness of 4.
    This wasn't a problem when Yarrick and 4 Ogryns just got the keys to an Inquisitorial Land Raider.

Librarian

It is a re-roll of wounds allocated to him, you would use the same toughness you did in the first roll.
    You don't change the strenght of the weapon or the toughness.
    It's just a second chance for Yarrick, the wounds were legally allocated, it just might not harm Yarrick.
    Last edited by SeattleDV8; 03-07-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Brother-Captain

Thanks SeattleDV8, I think that's a legitimate application.

I've always established which Str of shooting wounds I'm putting on Yarrick and force them to reroll against his T4. It gets frowned upon sometimes, but you are rerolling wounds on Yarrick, so on Yarrick's toughness.

When does the reroll take place? So if we have Yarrick and one other model, and take 2 wounds, could you assign the first wound to Yarrick, reroll it so that it no longer wounds and then allocate the second wound to Yarrick as well? This way no model has a second wound allocated before each model has a first, as Yarrick is only allocated one wound. If we consider the opposite case where 3 wounds are taken, 2 are allocated to the other trooper and Yarrick forces the reroll to fail we have a second wound allocated while Yarrick has no wounds. It would have been much clearer if it was defined as a special save or something.