BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Sci-Fi Story line do you like best?

Simple, what Sci-fi line do you like best? No holds barred, all sci-fi's allowed (Star wars, star trek, 40k, don't care!)

Hm, hard to decide between Star Wars, Mass Effect and Star Trek.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Star Wars is a good possibility, in no small part because Jedi are about the single coolest thing in Sci-Fi. Which is ironic, because Star Wars is really a fantasy series set in the past and Jedi use magic, but whatever.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Hmmm, so many choices....both Star Wars and 40k offer a wide universe full of gaming potential, but I have a soft spot for the original Battlestar Galactica. I'm also really enjoying E.R. Burrough's Barsoom books.

Brother-Sergeant

I know its a small part of the sci fi genre, but I love the whole "Necromonger" idea from "the chronicles of riddick". sci-fi, death worshipping, super humans. = awesomesauce. The vehicle/armour design is rad, and has been an inspiration for alot of my work.

Battle-Brother

The Dune series by Frank Herbert. Shame no one has made anything as far as tabletop gaming goes, would be neat to have a sandworm rampaging across a battlefield.

Star Wars and Mass Effect are good ones, along with 40k of course.
    Corny faith and musty sorcery are no match for a good Gauss blaster.

Chapter-Master

40k actually really is a massive rip-off of the Dune universe, with a handful of unique twists of its own like the Primarchs and Daemons. But the Emperor, death worlds and various super-soldiers, the dark ages, much of the Warp, all comes straight from Dune.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Captain

I like a lot of sci-fi, in fact there is very little in the genre that I don't like (Farscape I'm looking at you!) to one degree or another. As far as grand storylines go, I'd have to say that my favourites are Star Wars, Babylon5 and Stargate (from the movie through SG-1 to the end of the run of Atlantis, not a fan of Universe). Couldn't get into the books, but I love the tv mini series that the Sci-Fi Channel (back when they actually were a Sci-Fi channel) did of Dune and Children of Dune, which were so much better than the awful movie.

I'm not that big a fan of Star Trek which is too much miss and not enough hit for my liking, but I did like the later series of Deep Space Nine which focused on the Dominion War storyline, much less so the usually tedious filler stories they used to pad each season out with to get them to 26 episodes.

On a less grand scale, I'd say my favourite sci-fi saga is that of Firefly/Serenity.

I do like the background story of Warhammer 40k, but that fact that it lacks an ending, and likely will never have one does diminish the appeal a bit for me. Thankfully that doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the hobby at all, but if when they have finished the Horus Heresy series, they were to do a series set in the future of the 40k universe where the many plot threads and hints of the future that have been dropped over time are handled in an apolcalyptic conclusion (which could serve to spin off even more stories and such to come), then I would be very interested in reading it.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Chapter-Master

I also don't list 40k as a top choice personally because too much of 40k's fiction is very... pulpy, for lack of a better term. When I compare the Black Library books to some of the independent novels I've read, there's simply no contest. I'm sure there are some BL books that are very enjoyable reads, but compared to the stuff I normally read there's no reason to make time for 40k fiction. I'd rather read something like Mistborn or Heroes Die or Name of the Wind or a Song of Ice and Fire or Old Man's War.

First-Captain

Top 5 Sci Fi (with a dash of potential cyberpunkish thrown in:

1. Star Wars. It's one of those definitive movies that just explodes with potential. So much has been done to expand the 'verse that it has a certain gravitas about it. Also, hot Twi'lek dancing girls and lightsabres.

2.) Firefly/Serenity. It's dystopian. It's Joss Whedon. Spectacular plotting, scripting and acting. Wild West meets Space ships.

3) Shadowrun (Cyberpunk rears its ugly head!) For a complete smashing of diverse genres (post cyberpunk nihilism meets fantasy races plus magic) it somehow works really well, and has survived as a RPG for over 20 years now.

4) Babylon 5. So well thought out and scripted. And the miniatures games (in their various iterations) were fun too.

5) Star Trek. Almost just an honorable mention. But later DS9 (ripping off Bab 5) and Next Generation had a lot of good things about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast