BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brother-Captain

I really enjoy the works of Orson Scott Card (though the Xenocide trilogy was a bit of a bore). Starship Troopers is a perpetual favorite. Stargate SG-1 and Firefly were fun, and Star Trek is almost always worth a watch (though Voyager was a little rough). One of the things I like about 40k is it is intentionally open. You can tell any story you want in it and it will obey the rules of the setting with a little tweaking. Star Wars is awesome for this reason too, but the current season of Clone Wars is burning me out.
    I'm going to give a shout out to Fifth Element, because someone should.

I wish I could 'get' Doctor Who and Battlestar Galactica (they seem so neat and there's clearly a lot happening, it just doesn't click for me) and that I could ignore the random exposition dumps and awkward monologues that fill most of my memories of Babylon 5. It's not a bad show by any means, it had actors that made you overlook a lot of the 'cheap' and sold their characters so hard that it seems like a natural interaction (until the monologue or exposition dump knocks you out of it).

Veteran-Sergeant

Easily, I'm going to say Star Trek is my favorite. I like how it's an actual futurist's vision of the future and doesn't contain any Jarjars.

In fact, I've got a wild idea to convert an IG army into a Star Fleet theme... Valkeries as small vessels, Chimeras as shuttle craft and Ogres as Klingons. The rest of the army would be all Star Fleet with Next Generation coloring on the uniforms.

I also like the generic 50s sci-fi vision of the future with ray guns, fins on rocket ships and flying saucers.
    "Technically correct is the best kind of correct."
    WHFB: Dwarf - TK - Empire - Goblin 40k: SW - IG - Ork

Chapter-Master

I'd rather have JarJar than [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1eFdUSnaQM"]this[/URL] any day.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    I'd rather have JarJar than [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1eFdUSnaQM"]this[/URL] any day.
    Now, that's pod racing!

Veteran-Sergeant

Has anyone else read Dream Thief by Stephen Lawhead?

Isaac Asimov FTW.

C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy was interesting.

Starship Troopers (the book) and Have Space Suit Will Travel by R.E. Heinlein were good.

I grew up in the 90's, so Babylon 5, ST:TNG, DS9, and ST:TOS reruns were my TV scifi experience.

But the best series of all, hands down, without a doubt, is [URL="http://youtu.be/BkmRTjfFZ3w"]FUTURAMA![/URL]
    "Tothe" rhymes with "cloth."

Chapter-Master

I like Hard Science-fiction and Cosmic-Horror.

I am a fan of Arthur C Clarke, Hal Clement, Greg Bear, Iain M Banks, Robert W. Chambers, Brian Lumley, HP Lovecraft and Olaf Stapledon.

I think "Star Maker" is the best science fiction book/universe ever, awesome mix of hard sci-fi, PROPER aliens and truly out there conceptual ideas, exactly what I like. The guy invented the concept of the Dyson Sphere and had sentient nebulas. Nuff said. Everything else pales in comparison to this mans mind.

I also like "Mission of Gravity" because it has a non-humanoid alien as one of the protagonists and the oblate planet is a truly fascinating idea! "The Shadow Out Of Time" and "At the Mountains Of Madness" are Lovecraft's finest and have the best and most nightmarish aliens in any fiction imo, nothing compares to polyps or shoggoths! and "Inherit the Stars" by James P. Hogan is just mindblowing.

Not much in the realm of tv or film I like tbh. Most of it is too mundane for my taste, however I enjoyed Sapphire & Steel, Blakes7, Quatermass and Star Cops a lot. 2001, Moon, The Man From Outer Space, ST the motion picture, Bladerunner, Akira and Carpenters The Thing are awesome.
    Last edited by Asymmetrical Xeno; 03-09-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Veteran-Sergeant

I forgot to add that I like the 2000 AD/Judge Dreadd future. It kind of seems like a possible future...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12