BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Citadel Wash Replacement

I've been experimenting recently with a homemade mix to replicate the Citadel washes; while I love the colors and coverage, my FLGS is very erratic in stocking them. I think I've hit on a suitable replacement:

2 parts pigment (ink of some sort for transparency) : 2 parts Pledge with Future Floor Wax for flow : 1 part Vallejo matte varnish (cuts down on the shiny and seems to make it flow better)

Does this sound about right? Anyone have another preferred formula?

Edit to add: If using actual India Ink instead of game inks, the formula seems to be 10 parts Pledge w/ Future : 4 parts matte varnish : 1 part ink : 1 part water.
    Last edited by DWest; 03-06-2012 at 03:35 PM.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

have you got any pic of the results. I'm very interested since all the home made wash I've seen contain "flow aid" which can find any where apart form order it in form over sea's. The only time I've hear of using floor polish was with oils so i'd have imaged it would have some negative effects on ink and under lining painted surface.

Too much pigment - pigment should be no more than a 1:5 ratio.

I'd say go with a tube of artist acrylics (available from any art store) and alcohol. The alcohol has a lower surface tension, which means better flow and less of the dreaded water droplet effect that the Citadel washes tend to have.

Battle-Brother

do you use regular rubbing alcahol?

Scout

Try this recipe.
    [URL="http://www.awesomepaintjob.com/index.cfm/resources.recipes"]
    http://www.awesomepaintjob.com/index.cfm/resources.recipes[/URL]

I've been looking for that site for months. Thanks Gorgar.

Chaplain

For just a wash and tinting I use the desired paint colour, matt medium (I think mine is Vallejo, but theres a few about) and water. Not quite the same effect (dosn't pool in the recesses quite as much) but it works well for what I want it for.

Quote Originally Posted by greendestiny View Post
    do you use regular rubbing alcahol?
    You can, or you can use some of the "fancier" medical ones that you can pick up in places like Rite Aid/Walgreens or specialty pharmicists/chemists. That way you still get your pooling in the low areas, but you don't get the tide marks on the high spots where water won't break up properly due to surface tension.

The AwesomePaintjob link Gorgar posted up is a good recipe as well, it depends on what you like to work with. The advantage/disadvantage of the alcohol based wash is that it dries very quickly because of the evaporation point of the alcohol.

White spirits can also be used, BUT they're a bit more funky of a smell and you need decent amounts of air/ventilation or you run the risk of getting loopy.

I had been hoping my camera would come out of hiding so I could post pics before replying, but no such luck. Hopefully soon I will have some pics of what the formulated wash looks like.

As far as rubbing alcohol, I tried that, but I found I was likely to get a taste of the stuff when pulling my bristles straight and got rather sick from it. So I've stayed clear of alcohol for a base so far. Does rubbing alcohol allow you to "re-melt" the wash after applying for a short time, like oil-based washes? I would be very interested in finding something with that property, other than actual oils.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

For your "re-melt" type question, the answer is: I dunno. Never tried it like that, so if you want to know, you'll have to give it a go yourself, heh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast