BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Initiate

Default Tyranids-2000pts-Mama, Papa, and all the kids.

A little info. I want to start a new army, I like the idea of a carpet of skittering chitin and massive creatures rushing across the field... TYRANIDS. So I came up with a list that is basically target saturation w/ some hard to drop tank creatures. I am a very agressive player and I go for completely annihilating the foe. Ok so here's the list..

PAPA-[Hive Tyrant]-345 (170)
    T-L Devourer w/ Brainleech Worms +15 Thorax Swarm w/ Shreddershard Beetles +25
    Adrenaline Glands +10 Toxic Miasma +15 Armoured Shell +40 Old Adversary +25
    Hive Commander +25 Paroxysm/Leech Essence

Tyrant Guard Brood-3x Tyrant Guard-180

MAMA-[HQ Tervigon]-245 (160)
    Crushing Claws +25 Acid Blood +15 Toxic Miasma +15 Regeneration +30 Cluster Spines-Free

Zoanthrope Brood-3x Zoanthropes-180

Termagant Brood-30x Termagants-150

Tervigon-205 (160)
    Acid Blood +15 Toxic Miasma +15 Scything Talons +5 Adrenaline Glands +10

Tervigon-205 (160)

Biovore Brood-3x Biovores-135

Mawloc-205 (170)
    Regeneration +25 Adrenal Glands +10

Librarian

I like it. It is not far off of a list I just ran at a tourney a week ago. The one serious drawback I had trouble with was time. It is really tough to move all those guants your mommas are going to pop out. At one point I had 75 on the table and ran out of models. Kill points also suck. Unless you do manage to wipe out your opponent completely they get you on kill points in the annihilation scenarios, thus playing fast is critical.

If you are a quick player you should do well with this list. I'm not so fast so it was tough. Oh... playing Space Wolves is tough too because that stupid Jaws of the World Wolf crap will one shot a Tervigon. Lastly, Libarian hoods gave the Zoey's some problems too. Try to keep them out of range if possible.Contrarily, the scenarios in which you try to contest objectives or table corners work great. You can utterly swamp smaller elite armies in a sea of bugs.

My 2 cents.

Initiate

Well I have played footslogging Orks for years (130 Boyz 30 Grots) so I can move huge armies quickly. And one of my ideas was to keep the Zoanthropes back with the Biovores. Im gonna play the list with proxies until I fully commit to purchasing everything.

Librarian

Sounds good. If you can move 160 greenskins around quickly, then this list should not be a problem for you.

Sounds interesting, but your HT is too expensive.
    While i can see the use of 'Old Adversary', 'Hive Commander' seems like a waste of points. He is also illegal, because you can't have 'Armoured Shell' AND 'Thorax Swarm'.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Vostok101 View Post
    A little info. I want to start a new army, I like the idea of a carpet of skittering chitin and massive creatures rushing across the field... TYRANIDS. So I came up with a list that is basically target saturation w/ some hard to drop tank creatures. I am a very agressive player and I go for completely annihilating the foe. Ok so here's the list..

PAPA-[Hive Tyrant]-345 (170)
    T-L Devourer w/ Brainleech Worms +15 Thorax Swarm w/ Shreddershard Beetles +25
    Adrenaline Glands +10 Toxic Miasma +15 Armoured Shell +40 Old Adversary +25
    Hive Commander +25 Paroxysm/Leech Essence

Tyrant Guard Brood-3x Tyrant Guard-180

MAMA-[HQ Tervigon]-245 (160)
    Crushing Claws +25 Acid Blood +15 Toxic Miasma +15 Regeneration +30 Cluster Spines-Free

Zoanthrope Brood-3x Zoanthropes-180

Tervigon-205 (160)

Tervigon-205 (160)

Biovore Brood-3x Biovores-135

Mawloc-205 (170)
    Regeneration +25 Adrenal Glands +10
    I don't see the point of spending 40pts on Armoured Shell when you have three TGs, personally. What are you taking Hive Commander for? To Outflank a Tervigon? I've never found the Thorax Swarm overly useful. Nor would I take three TGs, I find two is almost always more than enough. Also don't get why you've put Crushing Claws on the HQ Tervigon or fitted out the others for CC (Tervigons blow in CC), why you're taking so many Termagants when Hormagaunts are much better and the Tervigons poop Termagants for free, why you're taking Biovores or why you're paying 205pts for a Mawloc when for only five points more you can get a vastly superior (IMO) Trygon with Adrenal Glands.

I'd drop Armoured Shell, Hive Commander, Thorax Swarm and Toxic Miasma on the Tyrant and one of the TG. I'd also lose the Crushing Claws and Regeneration on the HQ Tervigon, Acid Blood, Toxic Miasma and Adrenal Glands on all the Tervigons and drop the Biovores completely. I'd also drop the Termagant broods down to ten models each and replace the Mawloc with a Trygon w/ Adrenal Glands.

That gives you 660 points to play with. Two 30-strong Hormagaunt broods will run you 360 points and fills your Troops FOC slots and your wish for a tide of chitin. You need some Hive Guard IMO. Zoanthropes just aren't reliable enough for AT. I'd take two two-strong HG broods for a total of 200pts. I'd also give all the Tervigons Dominion, that'll run you another 45pts which leaves you 55pts spare. I'd suggest another HG in one of the broods for a grand total of 1995pts.

You get five Monstrous Creatures, 80 bugs plus 9d6 Termagants per turn and better AT
    Last edited by Hive Mind; 03-19-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage

I have to agree with a lot of what Hive Mind says there, but I ll add a few more of my own thoughts. I find that the TMCs are best with only a few upgrades. Tervigons for example, Id say they need Catalyst and Toxin sacs. Adrenal Glands arent as neccessary, but if you have 10 spare points at the end they are the first thing you should add. This makes them 195 with Adrenal, and a lot more efficient in my experience. You may want to completely drop the Zoeys or add a Spore to them. Biovores I find are also not really needed. They're good for their points but dont fit the army, as by the time there's exposed infantry for them, your swarms are too close for three large blasts to fly around. On the Tyrant maybe try double Devourers w/BL worms, and then just Old Adversary. Add two guards so that he gets easy cover, and run him towards your opponent behind some gaunts. Mawlocs also arent that great, Id drop him to free up points for HG. However, the Mawloc can be good and if you use him Id go bare bones with no upgrades. Id try the below:

Tyrant w/dual Devourers Old Adversary 2x T. Guard

3x (2Troops 1 HQ) Tervigons w/ Catalyst AG TS
    2x10 gants

3Zoeys in SPod

This right here is 1250 and satisfies your Basic Requirements, plus gives you a lot of Synapse and a large amount of MCs. What seems lacking here though is numbers and maybe a bit more shooting. We could then add the following:

3x HG
    1x Mawloc
    2x30 H gaunts

This gives you 10 points that you could spend on either the Tyrant or a Tervi.

Librarian

D'oh. I meant Catalyst, not Dominion. Tervigons come with Dominion for free.
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage

Brother-Captain

I honestly don't know where to start.

It's awful.

You've sunk lord knows how many points in upgrades that range from marginally useful (adrenal glands on a Mawloc) to godawful (Toxic Miasma/Acid Blood on anything). All of your anti-tank is concentrated in 3 T4 models. You actually paid for more gants when your Tervigons can spawn them for "free".

There's a lot wrong here. If you're just playing casually, it won't be an issue, but any middle of the road list run by your average player will run roughshod over you.