BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Books that Made you get an army

What books have you read that got you so juiced up about a certain army or theme you went right out and started buying the models?

Obviously some people will say the Codex or Army book. I am talking more about the novels. Have at it.

Battle-Brother

I would say that Prospero Burns changed my opinion on space wolves a lot. I never did like them fluff wise very much but that book really changed how I think about them now. If had not just started a new Dark Angels army I would of done a space wolves because of that book.

The Soul Hunter series is another that changed my mind about the Night Lords. Because of that series they are the coolest chaos legion by far.

Soul Hunter.

I don't have a full army, but I did model First Claw from the 10th Company.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Soss View Post
    The Soul Hunter series is another that changed my mind about the Night Lords. Because of that series they are the coolest chaos legion by far.
    I can't agree enough.

Night Lords are the most "believable" legion to me. Instead of just one day going, "hey, we should all be super bad like and smas everyone!!!111!!", they actually feel the Emperor betrayed them, rather than the other way around.

I know this is somewhat the case for all "traitor legions", but the Night Lords seem to lack that over the top, badass element.

I'm a few books into the HH series, and I'd love to do a pre-heresy Luna Wolves army. That's probably because they are the main focus at this point...

I can't say I've ever bought an army based on a book alone, but I bought a Seamus Malifaux force based on fluff (jack the ripper with zombie hookers! Who could resist).

Chaplain

Never had a book make me want an army but I've been looking into an Emperor's Children army for years and Fulgrim pretty much killed that desire, I don't know why but the book just completely turned me away and I can't explain it very well. Mostly because I found the Legion's corruption far to quick and Fulgrim fell to Chaos like a *****, he didn't really fight it until his epic realization at the end and even then instead of taking the hard way out or even just ending it he made another epic mistake and gave in, overall an excellent novel and I highly recommend it but damn Fulgrim you made me hate your legion.
    Battle Sisters Record 2012 2/0/0
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Veteran-Sergeant

The Eisenhorn trilogy led me to get an Inquisitorial army that had neither Sisters nor Grey Knights. It played terribly - and that's what you get for getting too caught up in the fluff .

First 3 books in HH inspired my WIP Luna Wolves army. Other HH books inspired my In Planning Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons army and the Grey Knight books inspired my now canceled Grey Knights army.

Brother-Sergeant

Any of the HH books tempt me in some way to at least try a SM army since I am all about the aliens really

Scout

Space Marine by Ian Watson, loved the Character Jaq Draco and created a Marine/Demonhunter army when they had the allies rules in the DH codex.

When the last (not current) IG codex came out, I bought the WD that covered it. I must of spent hours reading and re-reading everything about the IG. The Kasrkin models alone were amazing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast