BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Broke necron units.

So on my last trip to my local FLGS, I was browsing around the 40k section and eyeing the necrons when a dreaded neck-beard approaches me. Now let me paint you a picture. I am 6'6 inches tall and am curently in the army. I am not the average looking hobby enthusiest. This guy was about 5'4, on the wrong side of 30 and smelled like he hadn't bathed in a week. To top all of this off he stands close enough to me to be sharing my jacket. Now i try to ignore it and grab two boxes of necron destroyers. NOTE: I am NOT a player, only a hobbyist). As I am desperately trying to find away around this guy to get to the register, he turns, looks up at me and hacks up the word "broke". As a non-gamer, i actually pause and question his phlematic statement. "excuse me?" I say. (In my mind i am thinking that these models are broken and am about to exchange the boxes for some other ones). But no, he starts rattling off AP this and Stregnth that, something about weapon skill and so on.. I kind of go blank in the eyes and tell him that "I am not a gamer, I just like the necron models and am painting them to sell". Instead of stopping his saliva soaked sputtering (heh), he begins lecturing me about how people like me ruin the game for people like him. Now I am getting a little irate. So i simply ask him "how do you mean? I dont understand" so he gets a little closer to me (i gagged a bit, but hid it well), and tells me my "type" buy up all the models at this particular store and make it "impossible" for gamers to buy units as they need them. After i let him finish that statement i had enough and simply walked to the register, made my purchase and left.

Can someone explain any of this phenomenon to me?! Maybe some tips to make it not happen again?

yours,
    Kataklysm

Chaplain

Ignore it and continue on, sadly like any thing in this world 40k has it's fanatics and some of them like WoW fanatics forget their still human and require hygeine, social skills, water and proper food to survive. For the most part their harmless as long as you let them go, argue with them and you've opened a flood gate, I'd say you handled it well and just avoid him in the future. Your not ruining anything at all merely enjoying the hobby like everyone else, I have often bought models purely to paint and display, currently a Valkyrie,a Tryon, a Dreanought (like rhinos I love these things) and a Chaos Lord on a Juggernaut. Keep up the work and post a few of your models, would like to see them.
    Battle Sisters Record 2012 2/0/0
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Chapter-Master

Never had it happen to me, but I'd probably be pretty pissed off. I'm not a tall guy, only 5'10, but I get a lot of comments like "dude, your arms are as big as my legs". So I imagine if he really did make me lose my temper, I'd push him back out of arm's length, and say something to the effect of "ok, first off, back off, you're invading my personal space. Secondly, go take a frikin' shower, you smell horrible. Thirdly, I don't give a damn about your bull**** opinion on something I don't care about*, so #$%& off before I make you". If he was socially inept enough to continue, then I really don't know what I'd do, and I really don't want to know.

Then I'd go wash my hands. In fact, that actually reminds me, I need to get some hand sanitizer. Used all the stuff I had up at the Bay Area Open. It's nice to have some on hand sometimes.

*you said you weren't a gamer, so while I do care about the game I added that in
    Last edited by DarkLink; 03-07-2012 at 02:11 AM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Never had it happen to me, but I'd probably be pretty pissed off. I'm not a tall guy, only 5'10, but I get a lot of comments like "dude, your arms are as big as my legs". So I imagine if he really did make me lose my temper, I'd push him back out of arm's length, and say something to the effect of "ok, first off, back off, you're invading my personal space. Secondly, go take a frikin' shower, you smell horrible. Thirdly, I don't give a damn about your bull**** opinion on something I don't care about*, so #$%& off before I make you". If he was socially inept enough to continue, then I really don't know what I'd do, and I really don't want to know.

Then I'd go wash my hands. In fact, that actually reminds me, I need to get some hand sanitizer. Used all the stuff I had up at the Bay Area Open. It's nice to have some on hand sometimes.
    I definitely lol'd at this response. the only problem is that i would never lay a hand on someone just for being un-hygenic and socially- inept. I probably should have been more assertive in the fact that i didnt want him near me though.

The thing that still bugs me is what he said about how hobbyists "ruin" the game for the gamers. Is this the general feeling towards us? im not talking about people that have a GW store near them, I am talking about people that rely on FLGS locations for their model needs. Obviously stock isnt an issue at a GW store (most of the time). Am I not just as entitled to buy a miniature simply for the sake of hobby? I feel like this is a dumb argument, but does anyboy feel the same way as the mouth-breather I encountered?

Chapter-Master

that sounds really annoying, but it seems that you handeld the situation well!
    as a hobbyist myself i can say that it is actually HIS sort that ruin the game. a FLGS with hobbyists has a large variety of models in stock, FLGS's with 'gamers' only has tau in stock, all the thunderwolf cav are sold out!

still for a bit of fun (and if the stores fire alarm isnt to sensitive) bring out some spray deoderant and start lightly spraying it at him, when he asks jus casually walk to the other side of the store. :P

so in reality the guy is just a dick.

-fuzz
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

No group ruins 40K for any other group - this niche hobby really isn't big enough to warrant warring factions of hobbyists vs. gamers. There are jerks in both camps.

I had to say I did lol there. A smelly gamer got booted out of a lgs here during a tournament, now EVERYONE comes in freshly showered and wearing clean clothes. All it takes is one very public display of kicking out a smelly guy and soon its no longer a problem. And yes I have to agree with everyone that guy is a total ***.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
    A smelly gamer got booted out of a lgs here during a tournament, now EVERYONE comes in freshly showered and wearing clean clothes.

This is awesome. I have to say, I try and time my trips to my local GW so that I am there when school is on so that I avoid a lot of these, of course it means during the holidays these are no go areas.

I agree with almost everyone here. They guy is in the wrong. I don't usually start up conversations with strangers just because they are picking up some models but, if I did somehow and you told me that you were not a gamer I would have been thrilled. Every model bought at my FLGS and not online helps me keep my favorite hangout. My store refreshes it stock pretty frequently and if they don't have a model they can order it for you. If it not a bit order it will be there for you next week.

I guess the moral of the story. ignore the neckbeard and buy more stuff ^_^

Grenndal
    [URL="http://xenoftw.blogspot.com"]http://xenoftw.blogspot.com[/URL]

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by ozybonza View Post
    No group ruins 40K for any other group - this niche hobby really isn't big enough to warrant warring factions of hobbyists vs. gamers. There are jerks in both camps.
    1000% correct.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast