BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primaris Psyker

Default Primaris Psyker

so this may have been done to death but what are peoples thoughts on the primaris psyker as a primary hq for small level (say <750 pts) games. maybe in the back of a valk with a squad of stormtroopers.

At 750 points a primaris is a cheap option, though I wouldn't put him with stormtroopers. When I use him I just put him in a blob to help with shooting. In saying that, you could just go with a cheap CCS for more (and better) orders, I've found that they are a more reliable unit.

Personally, I think the Primaris Psyker is a great HQ for small games. Nice to have around to bolster small squads ability, and comes in really handy when you can also have him break away and take something out with his Lightning arc ability. I personally played a 1,000pt game where I seperated him from a squad of veterans and he was able to get a killing shot on a Blood Angels Librarian Dreadnought and destroy it! Then my squad could worry about something else!

They are also a good HQ choice for fluffy lists like a traitor guard army, come on a rouge psyker, how cool is that!

I find myself always surprised that guy doesn't come with a hood. But he definitely brings some things to make a more unique guard list.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    a rouge psyker
    Everytime I see this typo this is all I can think of:

Scout

Default Mvp

I take a Primaris in every game. Especially under 1000 pts. Lightning arc is clutch! I usually put him in a chimera w/ a squad of veterans for the taking of objectives.

Lightning arc is actually quite good, and it makes the Primaris a pretty reasonable budget HQ choice.

First off, though, don't play storm troopers. Secondly, even if you do, don't put the Primaris in a Valkyrie with them. (Third off, play a vendetta instead of a valkyrie.)

The Primaris is all about putting out shots at range. He fits in perfectly with a unit firing out of the top of a Chimaera, and that's really where he should go.

Remember, though, that a company command squad with four meltas is only 20 more points, so he's not that budget. The CCS needs a transport, but if you've got a Valk or Vendetta to put them in so they don't have to buy a chimaera, they're probably worth that extra 20 points.

In fact, you'd almost certainly be better served by dropping those storm troopers, taking the CCS with meltas instead of the Primaris and putting them in the Vendetta, and spending the rest of those points on something better--like another Vendetta.

Chaplain

What's so bad about Stormtroopers? I rely on them. I love their better armor save, BS, and the hotshot las at AP3. That comes in handy if you fight a lot of Marines as I do.
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    What's so bad about Stormtroopers? I rely on them. I love their better armor save, BS, and the hotshot las at AP3. That comes in handy if you fight a lot of Marines as I do.
    Don't compare them to line squads--compare them to Vets. Once you do, the BS and the better armor fall out of the picture.

Then, the comparison is ap:3 lasguns to scoring, a third special weapon, and the ability to Demolitions (which is actually quite good)--and the Vets are cheaper.

If there were no Veterans and Stormtroopers were a troop choice, then I would agree--there are times I would take them over regular infantry squads.

However, they stack up very poorly against Veterans.

I always attach Primaris Psyker to CCS. Together with Commander armed with power weapon they can make pretty nice damage when charging

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast