BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Drop pod model issue

I have a model of drop pod without openable hatches (they are glued to the hull). Mu questions:
    Is my enemy able to shoot at a model behind it if he can`t draw LOS?
    And can a drop pod still shoot (bolter should be inside)?

Chaplain

HAHA! That is a can of worms question that has been discussed many times. I would do a search of all the rules threads on the web. The answer comes do to talk it out with the other player before the game.

The way I play is that both parts (weapon shooting and LOS blocking) go hand in hand. Based on true LOS, if I can't shoot through your pod then you cannot shoot out. Althought I have no problem taking LOS throught a closed pod and you still shooting.
    When you hear hoof-beats, it's best to think horses not zebras.

Glue a storm bolter on top of the drop pod.

Problem solved.

Most tournaments faq drop pods to always count as open since fluff wise they hit the ground, open, and the squad comes out. Explosive bolts blow the doors open so i don't really see them closing afterward without a a lot of servitor work.

Librarian

Oh no, please for the love of the emperah. Not this again
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

In my area, most stores rule that they do not block LOS, but will grant a 4+ cover save.

Chaplain

What about drop pods and dreadnoughts? Is there a model of a drop pod for dreadnoughts?

Here's my issue:

My opponent has drop pods but they're the ones configured to deliver marines with all those little hatches. Yet he'll often use one of these models to deliver a dreadnought to the battlefield. And he always "crab walks" it out of a door. Here comes this big machine walking sideways in little steps to come out. Now, I'm thinking it is not a big deal. But then if I'd like to drop pod my guys in cant because I don't have drop pod models. So I'm making a huge allowance by letting him use troop drop pods to bring in dreadnoughts.
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

INAT is open, but BRB is TLOS. So yes, discuss this with your opponent.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Brother-Sergeant

There is a forgeworld model for a dreadnought sized drop pod. It's expensive though. I saw a conversion someone had done fusing the doors to the struts so it opened flat on one side for his dread, which worked quite well

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    What about drop pods and dreadnoughts? Is there a model of a drop pod for dreadnoughts?

Here's my issue:

My opponent has drop pods but they're the ones configured to deliver marines with all those little hatches. Yet he'll often use one of these models to deliver a dreadnought to the battlefield. And he always "crab walks" it out of a door. Here comes this big machine walking sideways in little steps to come out. Now, I'm thinking it is not a big deal. But then if I'd like to drop pod my guys in cant because I don't have drop pod models. So I'm making a huge allowance by letting him use troop drop pods to bring in dreadnoughts.
    The size of a transport vehicle is irrelevant. There is no way you can fit ten marines in a rhino or 12 terminators in a land raider, all that matters is what the rules say you can put in there. I think there is a clear difference between using official models that haven't been scaled properly and having no models and IMO you are being unecessarily picky. But to answer you question, there is a properly sized Dread-drop pod available from Forgeworld. Though at £57 you be rather unreasonable (and unjustified) if you insisted your opponent used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Altin View Post
    I have a model of drop pod without openable hatches (they are glued to the hull). Mu questions:
    Is my enemy able to shoot at a model behind it if he can`t draw LOS?
    And can a drop pod still shoot (bolter should be inside)?
    At the risk of digging this up all over again, true LOS is true LOS. If you can see you can shoot, if you can't, you can't. There is nothing in the rules which says you have to open to the doors (just like you don't have to open them to disembark from a rhino), nor that you can't open them and then close them again after disembarking. So in your case, your men can disembark as their is no obligation to open the doors (though I'm puzzeld as to why you glued them shut) but you cannot fire as you cannot see anything.
    Using a DP to block LOS is slightly beardy, but no more so than using any other vehicle to do the same. But, for the sake of playing in a friendly fashion, check with your opponent before hand as to exactly what their thoughts are on drop pods (particularly as there is some debate about whether open doors count as the hull). Like other have said, check out previous posts as this has been done to death.
    Last edited by Wildeybeast; 03-07-2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Typo
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast