BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1500 Space Wolves

Okay, after 5+ years of losing with my Xenos army, I'm starting a space wolves army. I just bought the codex yesterday, so right now this is very conceptual. But I'd love to do a wolf rider army, adding terminators with frost blades and some troops to round it out. Here's what I'm thinking, but I'd like a lot of input before I go buy models. Since this will be my second army, I don't want to screw up and buy stuff I don't end up using!

Also, as this is conceptual right now, this may not add up to 1500 points correctly, so I'm going to just not include points...

If people could help by saying "this is a better build for a take all wolf rider army" I'll then be able to refine the list, add points, and then buy junk!

HQ
    Logan Grimnar
    Canis Wolfborn

Elites:
    Dreadnaught
    Wolfguard Terminators

Troops:
    Space Wolves Pack x10
    Space wolves pack x10

Fast Attack
    Thunderwolf Cavalry x4
    Thunderwolf Cavalry x2 (Canis will join this army)

Heavy:
    Devistator/Long Fang Pack

Again, just looking for advice, what to add, what to take out. Or if anyone wants to point me to a list to copy, that's fine too!

I take it from your comments that you are primarily focussed on winning games.

This being the case I would lose the expensive special characters (or go with Logan and a bunch of wolfguard, but that's a different list entirely) and instead get a runepriest. Jaws of the World Wolf and Living Lightning are good options for the psychic powers. Ask yourself what the dreadnought will do that the rest of your army cannot. Answer: nothing, so ditch it.

Make sure you have as many terminators with cyclones as possible.

Use the points you have saved to buy more grey hunters. Grey hunters should usually be equipped as follows:
    Rhino, wolfguard with combi-melta, powerfist, 1 dude with a meltagun, 1 dude with a wolf standard (this is massive for 10 points) and 6-7 other dudes (remember to leave space in one rhino for the runepriest). Grey hunters rock. They are one of the main reasons why space wolves are the top tier list.

Thunderwolf cavalry are not really to my taste, but are kind of fine. Get two units of three and mix around equipment for wound allocation nonsense. I think space wolf scouts are a nice fit with TWs as your opponent doesn't want to deploy on the back line as he is scared of your scouts, and doesn't want to deploy forward to avoid the wolves. Keep scouts with minimal equipment if you do use them - a meltagun is probably sufficient. Two squads is much more reliable than one and will scare the pants off any imperial guard/ tau that you meet.

Two units of long fangs are (again) much better than one as you need to shut off fire lanes and it is relatively easy to neutralise/ avoid 1 unit of long fangs.

Didn't mean to give that impression. I am looking to be more competative, and I like the frost blades and the wolf rider apsect of the Space Wolves. That's why I'd like to build lists around them, even though other stuff might be better.

That is too many points for your HQ choices in a 1500 point game, as Thunderwolf armies are already low model count. I will make a good list for you, trying to revolve around Frost Blades and Thunderwolves.

HQ
    Canis Wolfborn 185

Troops
    10 Grey Hunters 190
    -2 Meltaguns, Rhino

10 Grey Hunters 190
    -2 Meltaguns, Rhino

5 Grey Hunters 150
    -Flamer, Razorback w/ Lascannon & TL Plasmagun

Fast Attack
    3 Thunderwolves 185
    -1 has Frost Blade, 1 has Meltabombs

3 Thunderwolves 185

3 Thunderwolves 185

Heavy Support
    5 Long Fangs 115
    -4 Missile Launchers

5 Long Fangs 115
    -4 Missile Launchers

Normally I would go with Power Fists on the Thunderwolves, but Frost Blades will do. I gave one in each squad Meltabombs so they could kill Walkers in combat if required.

You have enough anti-tank shooting for this points level, and 3 units of Thunderwolves plus Canis is enough to chew through just about anything in CC.

The tactics are simple: The Rhinos advance with the Thunderwolves behind them or flanking them. The Razorback stays in your deployment zone, likely on an objective. The Long Fangs destroy enemy transports, leaving the infantry vulnerable to your fast Thunderwolves. You can replace one unit of Thunderwolves for 2 x 10 Fenrisian Wolves (taken as Troops thanks to Canis) and use them as mobile cover for your Thunderwolves.

I would try and proxy a game or two before you commit yourself to purchasing an entire army. Hope this list points you in the right direction

Chemxi's list looks a lot more mobile. If you wanted to take some wolf guard terminators though drop Logan and take a few small units of fenris wolves, they work great for tarpit and objective contesting. Also helps tie up shooting units while your bigger wolves with riders eat other squads.

Cool, that list looks really good. I'll definitely do most of that, but would love to try to work in a terminator squad... I mean how can you not with marines, right?

Battle-Brother

Heres my thunderwolf list if you would like to check it out.

[url]http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2011/11/28/40k-space-wolf-tactics-and-army-blog-welcome-to-the-thunderdome/[/url]
    www.frontlinegaming.org
    Painting Service/ Discount hobby supplies/ Podcast/ Video battle reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Chexmix282 View Post

Fast Attack
    3 Thunderwolves 185

3 Thunderwolves 185

3 Thunderwolves 185
    I get 180 for that kit, does anyone else, or am I missing something?

Brother-Captain

Yeah, all those SCs are cray expensive, especially at 1500.

If you want to go for a TWC theme, you'll need 3 things to get the most out of your TWC.
    1) Long Fangs/ranged AT to crack open transports
    2) Rhinos to provide cover, tank shock and bring mobile melta
    3) Thunderwolf Lord with Saga of the Bear. The only things TWC fear are things that insta-kill them. A Bear Lord with hammer and shield thrives on big game hunting and covers the TWC's weaknesses quite well.

So doing something like this:

Wolf Lord - hammer, shield, mount, Saga of the Bear, whatever else
    4x 5 GH with melta in Rhino
    2x 3 TWC, hammer and shield
    3x 5 Fangs w/ 4 missile

Gives you good presence of TWC, decent mech saturation and a good amount of firepower.

I agree rune priest and longfangs are the way to go also I agree that you do not need the named characters, a regular wolf lord and cav are sick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast