BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I think its just the same packaging, rather than actually being fine cast. For pieces as fragile as Forgeworld's stuff, I always found it shocking that they would willingly package their products in plastic bags.

Battle-Brother

I really hope they don't switch to the finecast material. I prefer their slightly more rigid material.

However, I would love to see it become easier to get fiencast peices. I am in love with the gorgeous Dreadnoughts that they keep putting out, and being able to get my hands on one easier would be a godsend!

Please no FW finecast.... it would make me consider buying from illegitimate even moreso.

But if not, then I'd love to see FW products in better packaging, though thus far, their postal boxing hasn't exactly been bad or anything.

FW resin is tricky to work with sometimes. Fix the quality issues of GW finecast and I wouldn't mind.

wasn't it just a matter of time until fw switches over to finecast. going by the rumours and the policy of fw more and more promoting their models to be used in regular 40k finecast was to expect...

Battle-Brother

well going on a limb here from my limited knowledge of resin. since its a two part mixture (right?). is it possible that it could have density abnormalities during pouring which could cause irregular air bubbling in the mold while spinning?
    if this is the case it could be partially solved by better premixing of the resin before pouring into the mold.

or ... just thought of this the mold surface conditions could be causing air to "stick" during spinning. in which case i guess cleaning the mold on a more regular basis or lining them with something might do the trick?

of course i know basically nothing about resin so just assume i'm wrong here and just throwing thoughts to the wind

best answer i think is to paint the centrifuge red and shake it at the same time, because we all know how good an idea it is to shake a centrifuge while its spinning

Quote Originally Posted by Regnir View Post
    Well, my problem with it was that while FW does have pretty good quality control, and I've worked with resin enough times over the years to expect things like warped parts, bubbles, and the like, the "FW Finecast" products looked just about as well QC'd as "Citadel Finecast" was.

All of the parts were covered in the small telltale pockmark bubbles that every single FC kit I've purchased has included. I cannot recall the last time that I've had to actually backfill a bubble in a normal FW kit, and I buy a lot of FW...

So yeah, to me it is a problem. The Finecast kits that I've purchased are "usable", but they require a far greater amount of work to get to a point where they look as good as the old metal version would have out of the blister. My time is important, and GW should recognize that when it comes to product that they're charging a premium for(and hyping up to no end).
    You sir must be blessed with good luck. Of my last 10 forgeworld purchases half of them were miscast (vents must give forgeworld nightmares). I understand that resin casting isn't perfected yet, but I wish that they could maybe give a quick check on the models before they go out the door. That being said their customer service has always been responsive and helpful. On a completely unrelated note my pre heresy blood angels amount to 1.5 times what I paid for them thanks forgeworld customer service =).

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
    You sir must be blessed with good luck. Of my last 10 forgeworld purchases half of them were miscast (vents must give forgeworld nightmares). I understand that resin casting isn't perfected yet, but I wish that they could maybe give a quick check on the models before they go out the door. That being said their customer service has always been responsive and helpful. On a completely unrelated note my pre heresy blood angels amount to 1.5 times what I paid for them thanks forgeworld customer service =).
    Hmm, that sucks. I am currently working with roughly 40 MK3 marine kits, a bunch of the weapon kits for them, 3 MK1 rhinos, 1 Land Raider proteus, and 3 contemptors. Of all of the kits, only the proteus had any visible miscastings.

That said, I've found that one persons idea of a miscast is often times not the same as another. For instance, I do not consider a "mould slip" miscast unless it cannot easily be fixed by scraping, in the same way that one would fix a mould line. The last kit that I've had this happen on was my Warhound, which was about six years ago. I expected something along these lines on my Reaver, and had zero of them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234