BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 45 of 61 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

I think it is great, for my taste the front could be somewhat more ornate but it should look fantastic when it is painted. I really don't agree that it is 'meh'.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

If you want to make it look as impressive as it is, then I think you need to think about the pose. In some of the pictures it looks kind of knock-kneed, and the upper arms give it a very squirrely pose. Kind of late in the game, but it might be something to go for larger upper arms to give the Volcano Cannons a greater range of motion, and to pose the legs akimbo.
    Last edited by Nurglitch; 08-13-2013 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Didn't read Blackadder's post properly

Chapter-Master

Mightily impressive. The problem is that at that distance, you can barely see the detail. I might be me, but it also looks slightly like the knees are bent insward slightly, which makes it look slightly like it is embarrassed to be there
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

First-Captain

what irks me slightly (very slightly!) is how hugely wide the shin plates are, with those comparatively tiny spindly upper legs above them...

Yeah the shin plates (greaves) bothered me as well on the DS original and I made mine slightly smaller and less wide but I tried ''thinner and taller'' and it just doesn't work (see a few dozen posts back to see what I mean)

[url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?20271-Blackadders-Warlord-WIP/page29[/url]

You have to remember the greaves protect the feet mechanisms as well as the shins.

I'll post better images now that I have more time to pose the rest of the army.
    Last edited by Blackadder; 08-14-2013 at 06:24 AM.
    "It is easier to deceive people than it is to convince them that they have been deceived."

Initiate

This is amazing! You truly are an inspiration to the wargaming community.

Fly Lord

Blackadder, I've painted up about 5-6 titans ove the years and I can say, don't worry - your Warlord is amongst the best in the world.

The odd thing about titans is they are so large and full of overall flat shapes that they really come alive in the painting.

A plain grey titan always kind of looks bland, but a fully painted titan, festooned with blazing heraldry, chevrons, stripes, and dripping with banners is just stunning.

And that begs the big questoin - do you paint these big boys yourself, or after so much work and time, go with top-shelf commission painters?
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Whilst painting isn't exactly my bailiwick I cannot see trusting my work to someone else's ministrations besides I'm too megalomaniacal to share the credit with a professional.

You can never learn how to do something if you allow others do it for you.
    "It is easier to deceive people than it is to convince them that they have been deceived."

Sorry to have been so long in responding but it's been a busy month for me getting the kids off to college and visiting my mum in Florida.

I also have been trying to design a Lucius retro-fit for a Mars Reaver which has monopolized a lot of my building time.

But I haven't forgotten this thread and am now acknowledging the above posted request. Unfortunately I have no Russes at hand and my son has none in presentable form and what he does have is 1500 KM away but I hope Baneblades and a Warhound will suffice plus there is a little guy in the foreground for a man sized comparison.

[url]http://i.imgur.com/VHbayam.jpg[/url]

The four models in the first image are the result of about 5 years of scratch building starting with the converted Armourcast Baneblade in the front right. This was my first attempt at working with styrene upgrading the model to conform to the Forge World style Baneblade You can still see the Armourcast treads which I left the same because at the time I deemed to too difficult to manufacture treads and bogie wheels.

The left foreground tank is a total scratch build except for some GW bitz and cast Baneblade treads and bogies. This was my second scratch build and my second favorite tank model.

Lucie the Warhound is my pride and joy and required almost two years to build. She is a total scratchbuild except for the two skulls on the cheeks and the rubber conduits on the neck. Also there are banners on the knee joints and when I remount it there will be a battle banner hanging from the waist.

Lucie is beginning to show a bit of wear and will need some refurbishing soon. She needs more lead weight in the rear to counterbalance the guns and the knee joints need new wooden dowels so she can maintain the poses. Right now she is standing on her own but in what I call her "Cute Puppy" pose.

I have yet to replace the Velcro attachment material with magnets; I hope to be doing that this coming Winter.

Of course the Warlord needs no introduction, I still haven't decided on a colour scheme for 'Luteus Vexant' but he will definitely not have a yellow head even if I choose 'War Griffins as the Chapter colours.

[url]http://i.imgur.com/RDhWmf5.jpg[/url]

This next photo show comparison between the Warhound and the Thunderhawk although they will probably not be used in the same game. Note Lucie's Battle Banner on the ground............... that needs to be reattached with chain links, glue does hold well .

More images to follow......................

In the following image a view of the top detail of the smaller models. I am particularly proud of the Baneblade's 'Demolisher' cannon which was built of dozens of separate parts and at that time taxed my scratch building abilities to the limit.

[url]http://i.imgur.com/E2HIuQz.jpg[/url]

Another thing that I was pleased with was the hand made nuts on the front bumpers. I look back at that effort and have to laugh at myself having learned so much since then.

Next we have a low angle view of the Warlord and I notice I still haven't mounted the search lights and flying greave panels. which I had plans to have working lights the wiring can be seen already installed. The white object near the left foot of the Warlord is the catwalk that fits under the carapace

[url]http://i.imgur.com/lG0mmI9.jpg[/url]

So many things to do still on this model and I have to redesign the Holo- Command deck display.

I hope to have more time this winter.

Here we have a better view of Lucie with her head turned in a quizzical pose demonstrating the flexibility of the neck joint which I hope to duplicate on the Reaver project with a more sophisticated mechanism.

[url]http://i.imgur.com/XrqDqUE.jpg[/url]

More to come..............

Page 45 of 61 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast