BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Know No fear: The Battle of Calth

Just bought the book, and about 100 pages in.
    HOLY FRIKKIN WOW is it awesome! Abnett has outdone himself. The writing is visceral, and you can just feel the despair, shock, and uncertainty oozing from the pages.
    No spilers please, as I am nowhere near done with the book.

What has me a little confused is the cover: is that an ultramarine, fighting a word bearer in the open void space without his helmet on? and what the hell is in his hand????

Chapter-Master

You'll find out :-D. It's worth it.

www.queencityguard.com

I was more curious as to why he portrayed in the void of space with no helmet on. Seems like there would be some issues there...

Chapter-Master

Without spoiling too much:

The larger Capital Ships have a thin atmosphere around them so that servitors can work on the ships and not die, so breathing isn't the issue. It's the cold that is more the problem. (This is all explained in the novel)

That picture is of Guilliman. And Abnett even has the regular Ultramarines comment incredulously on it. Its a fantastic scene, and I think once you read it, you'll have much less problem with it .

www.queencityguard.com

Ah. The fact that its a primarch does indeed make it ok. But what is up with the super extended forearm?

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Jmaximum View Post
    Ah. The fact that its a primarch does indeed make it ok. But what is up with the super extended forearm?
    I was pretty damn sure he was kicking, thus making that his leg.

I guess that cover will be one of the greater mysteries of the 40k universe.

*************************spoilers spoilers spoilers****************************************** **

Now, Henry Zhou, wtf?
    Oll Peerson is 44,000+ years old!?!?!?!?? Who the hell is this guy? it is clear he is part of the Cabal, but still...
    Is that a warp rift or webway portal he opens at the end? Where did they go?
    What happened to Calth: is it now a demon world, is it back with the Imperium?
    Loads of questions, but let's start with these.

Chaplain

Thumbs up

Yes this book just grabbed me by the scruff of the neck & wont let go.
    Just got to find more time to read it. I am about 40 pages in & Dan Abnett has written in a totally different way for this novel. Its almost like reading instant Battle reports. AWESOME!
    Regards Barry H. "the Emperor Protects!"

Just want to go on record and say I now realize Henry Zhou DID NOT write Know No Fear. I know Abnett did. I am currently reading Zhou's trilogy (the Bastion Wars), and for some reason got the authors confused in my head. Therefore Im an idiot. Problem solved.
    But, would still like some thoughts/answers on what I was asking about for Know No Fear.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jmaximum View Post
    Just want to go on record and say I now realize Henry Zhou DID NOT write Know No Fear. I know Abnett did. I am currently reading Zhou's trilogy (the Bastion Wars), and for some reason got the authors confused in my head. Therefore Im an idiot. Problem solved.
    But, would still like some thoughts/answers on what I was asking about for Know No Fear.
    I can see why you'd get it confused. Zhou's books are, IMO, very, very good. Very visceral, very military style. Know No Fear has that same feel.

As for the new Cabal stuff. Holy crap, right? Supposedly, according to 40k Lexicanum, Oll seems to be a sainted human that interjected during Horus' siege of Terra that interjected and helped the Emperor survive. Or something like that.

But more interesting: dude ripped a webway right into space! WTF! All I could think of was, "man, that's some Doctor Who" **** goin on right there. Can't wait to find out more.

Calth is again part of the Ultramarine's domain. I guess the remaining Ultras there eventually purge it, but most of the surface is still a lifeless rock as far as I know. Everyone lives underground.

www.queencityguard.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast