BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Emperor vs Horus. Black Library Style.

So we all know the big finish and what happens, yadda yadda.

Do you think Black Library will actually put it in a book? Of course they will would be a natural answer. But really, how do you about writing a battle between beings that are so colossal, possibly beyond our scope of comprehension?

This isn't Yoda versus Darth Sidious, it's the Emperor of Mankind versus his greatest son, jacked up on Chaos. I think Horus vs Sanguinius is a writable showdown. But Horus vs the Emperor is probably that times 1000.

Do you think it can be done justice?

Librarian

I hope they“ll do, nothing to be worried about
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar“s Gauntlets

They have to, really.

I'd imagine it will be written from the perspective of one of Big E's Honour guard that came aboard the Vengeful Spirit.

Chaplain

I'd wager it would be addressed anecdotally in at least three different books... probably by ADB, Abnett, and McNeill.
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

Iron Father

the folks at the BL are doing a great job of the HH books, but they do seem to wringing as much £ as they can before the final showdown. The books individually are mostly great reads but I am now looking forward to them coming to an end. I want to read about E v H but I don't fancy waiting another 8 years to do so.
    As for the OP, I personally would like to see Abnet giving the job of writing the final book.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Librarian

I think they will write about the final battle. I agree that it will probably be written from someone else's perspective.

It will probably be hard to actually have the Emperor fight, since little has been done so far about his abilities, which I can't even begin to imagine.

I also agree that Mr Abnett will write the final book, and be heavily involved with the other two of the final trilogy.

Agreed, I find it very doubtful that it will be closely detailed in any HH books.

I have a feeling that Horus v Sanguinius will be a very physical confrontation with a lot of jumping/flying around and swordplay, but I think the Big E v Horus will mainly be a phycological and mental battle, with the Big E doing his best to fend off Horus' physical and warp powers attacks while he desperately tries to get through the corruption to bring he back to the light or something.

They might even break the battle in two, with Horus v Sanguinius in one book written by someone who excels at the graphic mortal combat descriptions, while the Emperor v Horus will be in another book with Abnett writing to his strengths by focusing on all the fine detail and emotions rather than a blow-by-blow account.

Horus v Sanguinius will probably be written in first person as we have had a lot of first personal work on the Primarches so far, but the Emperor v Horus will probably be from a mix of first person and third person POVs, in fact, we might have already met the person who's eyes we will see the ultimate fight through - Oll Persson from Know No Fear. And guess who wrote Know No Fear?

Brother-Captain

I don't know. The old WD story was pretty on top of it so you'd have to come up with side plots to keep it interesting. Maybe what all Rogal Dorn was getting up to before he runs into the Emperor?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    As for the OP, I personally would like to see Abnet giving the job of writing the final book.
    Please no.
    Are you just saying "Abnett" because he's got the biggest rep in BL? His best stories aren't pure mil-sci-fi. His worst stories are. Double Eagle and the Ultramarine movie so put me off that him writing ANYTHING to do with the main storyline would have me approaching it with dread.

Meanwhile, you'd be taking him away from working on the kinds of stories that he does do well.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast