BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default Airbrush primers and clear-coats

I need to know where I might be able to find primers to use in my airbrush, so that I can move away from the spray-can ones. I know vallejo makes model primers, and the reviews on them are pretty good, but I haven't found a place where I can afford the shipping. I tried Wayland Games, and they wanted 80 dollars to ship 8 small bottles of primer, which is ridiculous, so that was a no go.

I just need a primer that can work well for models, so I am not married to the idea of vallejo for primers, I just need something that can work in my airbrush.

I also need a matte and gloss spray for clear-coating as well that is workable for my airbrush, vallejo also has this, but again same problem.

So what do you all think?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Brother-Captain

Well, basically any decent white, black, or grey paint can function as primer. Cans are still the easiest in my eyes, but I've recently started using Vallejo's primer, especially for the grey primer. Great paint but still needs some light thinning before it's really fluid enough for an airbrush. But hey, it's nothing that special, just a bigger bottle with paint that's a little thinner than in the smaller pots (again, still needs to be thinned some more)

So along that line of thought, just take any acrylic black, white, or grey, thin it enough for airbrush use and have at it.

For the varnish... lol, I actually started using Vallejo's varnish as well, they sell it in 500ml bottles, again, great stuff. For gloss varnish, just go for Klear, or an equivalent, absolutely great quality and dead cheap as it's sold as a 'floor polish'. here's a site dedicated to it: [URL]http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html[/URL]

As for buying Vallejo's products. I buy all of mine from random webshops on ebay. Just look around and you'll find something decent, I'm sure.
    Blood Angels Army Project
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12017

Brother-Sergeant

Try "The Warstore.com". I believe they carry the full line of Vallejo colors. I recenrtly heard about thier "Pale Grey Wash" for shading white and just had to get some to try it out. The shipping was very reasonable. Granted that was in a small dropper bottle but I've ordered from them before and am always quite happy.

I got a airbrush about 6 months ago, and I picked up some of Vallejo's primers that I have been very happy with. They are available in large bottles (200 ml) but they have a slightly different name - "Auxillary Surface Primers" and they are the right consistancy for airbrushing. I've used the black, white and grey.

They are available at the warstore, and they have a pretty reasonable fixed price for shipping.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    I got a airbrush about 6 months ago, and I picked up some of Vallejo's primers that I have been very happy with. They are available in large bottles (200 ml) but they have a slightly different name - "Auxillary Surface Primers" and they are the right consistancy for airbrushing. I've used the black, white and grey.

They are available at the warstore, and they have a pretty reasonable fixed price for shipping.
    I got lucky, found out my local game shop can order it without the nasty shipping costs. So I have my primers and clear coats on the way, and am good to go.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Its always a good idea to try to buy stuff at the local game store. What primer(s) did you end up buying?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    Its always a good idea to try to buy stuff at the local game store. What primer(s) did you end up buying?
    I got all three of the 200 ml bottles, the grey, the white, and the black. I use all three depending on my colour scheme. I also picked up the gloss vernish (which I use for very specific things) and a large bottle of matte varnish which I will use to clear coat most things.