BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Ideas for Dark Eldar color scheme?

I'm just about to start painting up my dark eldar, and I can't decide on a scheme. I like the basic scheme (Black Heart, black with the blue highlights), but I want to do something to make mine different. I just don't know what. I'm also considering using a red trim instead, I just can't decide.

Inverted? Blue with black trims?

Chaplain

I have been doing a Dark Eldar army for a friend for some time and he has a pretty unique scheme. Instead of black armour with the lighter colour trim, the armour is highlighted with dark colours and then the trim goes on top and it looks really good.

I also kept it very simple of three stages of wetbrushing/ overbrushing/ drybrushing progressively lighter colours and then badab blacking the whole model. Then the light colour edging on top. Worked well on vehicles too as it means that there arnt massive black panels, they have a bit of tone on them.

His Dark Eldar are DA green highlighted up to hawk turquoise and then badab blacked. Meanwhile the edging highlights are hawk turquoise up to Skull White (through SW Grey).

So in your case I would roughly over-brush them mechrite red, then drybrush blood red. Then straight-from-the-pot badab black wash them. Wait to dry (a while). Then blood red highlight trim. You then need to decide how you want the red highlighted through pink (just add white) through orange (add orange, and then white) or somewhere in between (skin tone like elf flesh, then add white).

I think that high contrast is the best for them. I use black and ice blue for my eldar.

I painted an army for a friend and I decided to make them red with yellow highlights and bonelike weapons. turned out pretty well i think:

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/710/incubi.jpg/][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

All great ideas. Thanks, this is really getting the creative juices going. Right now, I think I'm leaning towards sticking with the more traditional black base.

Chaplain

If you want to different maybe go for a really garish colour like a bright green, yellow or purple. This could look unique but shouldn't be too offensive to the eye if you're keeping the black base.

From reading a list of alternative Wych colour schemes in a WD, (can't remember issue number off the top of my head, but can dig it out if you're curious) GW seems to be pushing dark colours quite heavily for DE. Typically, black with a bright edge highlight, or a dark purple/blue/scarlet, often with a light colour on some armour panels (e.g. light blue).

It might be as simple as painting them black, with a highlight colour of your choice, and a few armour panels in another colour.

I remember the word "neon" appearing in the discussion of DE colour schemes, so I think of Blade Runner as being appropriate visual inspiration. Bonus points if you do your entire DE army in see-through raincoats

Hope that helps.