BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Scout

Default Suggestion for base coloring

I am currently painting up a Minotaurs army. I am using Dwarf Bronze as the primary color with Red Gore for the shoulder pads and guns. I am doing the bases separately before I glue them together, but I am not sure what color to paint the bases. The bases are sand with spare bits and shale. What base theme should I go with? Grey/Urban rubble, Mars-like red, or basic brown? Should I add snow to make it pop a little more? I am not sure what would work best against the bronze and red and could use some suggestions.

Chaplain

If bronze is a yellow-orange-brown kind of colour (i know its metallics but bear with me) then blue and purple will make the bronze look brighter. All my rocks and stones on my bases are shadow grey to fortress-grey, the blue tinge I feel gives my bases an scenery a bit more individuality. So maybe Blue-grey rocks are the answer?

To get the Red to pop get green on the model. Whilst Green shading can suggest verdigris a little on the model itself clumps of green grass on the base can work wonders too.

Not sure whether clumps of green grass on blue-grey rocks/urbaness works though, so maybe you will have to pick.

Theory lesson over.

Base them according to your Chapters fighting grounds! Fluff ftw!

Chaplain

You'd probably want something that contrasts well, so has someone else said, green tones would look good, and tbh if you went for green rocks that weren't too bright then that would certainly be a more unusual take, or you could just go with clumps of grass and the effect should still be good. I'd be careful not to be too bright with the green as you don't want it to pop more than the model itself, just contrast.

Scout

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try a blue undertone on one and a green undertone on another and see how they turn out

[URL="http://40kaddict.blogspot.com/2011/01/red-planet-basing.html"]Red Planet Basing[/URL] always gets my vote.