BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Swarms

Veteran-Sergeant

Default Swarms

So there's 'Nid Ripper swarms (and those flying ones) Chaos Daemons with Nurglings ... annnd well not really sure what else. Oh yes, Necron Scarabs. (Am I missing anything else?)

So I was just thinking, Necron Scarabs seem pretty cool... They went from being a simple turbo boosting jet bike tar pit unit to beasts with their infamous Entropic Strike.

Allow us to ponder what the future may hold. What will the current swarms get when their codex's is updated? Will it be something simple like a points adjustment, a stat line change, a universal rule added (or likewise taken away) or will it be some exotic new rule that we have yet to witness...

You think Scarabs are good? Try some Nurglings. Max 9 bases in a unit. They all have eternal warrior. NOW THAT is a tarpit! lol
    For the Empire-----CHARGE!!!!!!!!!

Chapter-Master

One of the reasons I think I'll start taking a Dreadknight is Scarabs (double wounds, ignore cover and inflict ID all at once with the heavy Incinerator). Come at me bro. The Dreadknight also happens to be cheaper than an Interceptor squad while performing the same job. Though I wish the Dreadknight had an acceptable anti-tank gun so you could go for rear armor shots after Shunting. The Heavy Psycannon should be Heavy 6 or something instead of a stupid large blast.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Turner View Post
    So I was just thinking, Necron Scarabs seem pretty cool... They went from being a simple turbo boosting jet bike tar pit unit to beasts with their infamous Entropic Strike.
    Even with Disrupton Fields they could hamper tanks quite well.

Now they are a bit more brutal.

Librarian

Never had much luck with ripper swarms. Unless the Parasite of Mortrex was making them pop out of infected IG.

Rippers make excellent mobile cover. If you make sure to put them into cover themselves, you can string a long line of them to grant everything else behind them cover. They'll have a 3+ cover save (+1 from being swarms), and because they're so cheap, I've never felt bad going to ground with them for a 2+ cover.

There's not a lot of swarms out there but they all have their uses. Personally as a necron player I think scarab swarms have gotten TOO good.

I think it would be fun to see more minor daemon swarms. Fire imps for Khorne and maybe some sort of sprite for slanesh and will o wisps for Tznetech. Maybe an imperial special character who has crazy combat servo skull swarms?

Ripper swarms were great in 3rd when you could take mutations in the squads. I would take a maxed leaping unit with 3 bases of rending rippers (remember rending was MUCH better back then). This unit would get their 12 inch charge, bypassing rapid fire range, and pour attacks into people. There was multiple occasions where they would hit a squad of space marines and take down 5-6 marines. Also, the No Retreat rule didn't exist so they made excellent tarpits. Ah those were good times

Now a days... not so much. Their susceptibility to instant death and fearless wounds makes them terrible tarpits and they don't pack a punch when they charge a unit. You are much better off investing those points into another squad of gants. I just recently ripped all my ripper swarms off their bases so I could use the bases in my other armies.