BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Get it whilst its cheap!!

Ok, so great thought on the front page today about the 2012 release schedule. However Im gonna throw this thought out there:

Lord of the Rings made GW a ton of cash. It was great. And then it died out (pretty much). And then, because GW is on the stock market and need to keep increasing profits without making a dip, Apocalypse was released to get us to all spend more cash and prices were jacked up over and over until what we have now.

Now GW will release The Hobbit in December, probably make a ton of cash and then in 2014, when it dies out they will need to do something spectacular to save themselves again.

This would be the perfect time for the next edition of 40k to hit the shelves- as with all the new Hobbit kid players can switch to 40k whilst its new. Perfect marketing.

However if 6th edition hits the shelves in summer, instead we can see GW panic, jack the prices up again, scrape the barrel of Tolkien lore and watch other companies steal their customers come 2014 (Warmahordes wooo!)

Or maybe its all in hand. Maybe that point in time is reserved for 6th ed Apocalypse to be released?

What do people think? Or can you think of a good inspired release for spring/summer 2014? Should we buy reserve boxed sets whilst the prices are lower (If I had a time machine I would certainly buy a load of £10 marine boxes... and rogue trader two landraider boxes.... nm).
    Last edited by Thornblood; 03-09-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Chapter-Master

Perhaps you haven't seen that the newest Warmachine model is priced at $135......

www.queencityguard.com

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Perhaps you haven't seen that the newest Warmachine model is priced at $135......
    WHAT!? Are you serious? At that price, it better paint itself.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Chapter-Master

To be fair, it rather large. But I think at this point making any pricing arguments between privateer and GW is a bit silly. But yeah, $135.

www.queencityguard.com

Chaplain

$135 for a small titan. Its around 150mm tall (120mm to the eyes). Thats half the height of a warhound Titan, which is around the $376 mark (check that please, Im not american so i'm not sure).

However the Warhammer Giant is compareable to Stormwall. Stormwall is about twice the width of a WH Giant, and half as tall again to boot, and priced at $50.

He is put to shame by the ork Stompa who is bigger than he is. But then the Stompa is a big hollow baked-bean can.

Stormwall is £88 sterling in a direct converter (but we all know PP models cost more this side of the pond).

But anyway PP wasnt my point at all (just a small dig).

Chapter-Master

I think calling it a small tita. Is a bit generous considering the girth of a titan.

Anyways. Im really curious to see how GW is going to handle both 6E and hobbit introductions this summer. Couple it with th rumors that well see a 25th anniversary blood bowl box and it seems like they're going to have plenty to sell, so who is to say they will Up prices?

I actually really hope they do hardcover 40K codeces akin to the fantasy ones. I'd be all over full color 40k.

Sorry to derail btw; I just think withe the Colossals talking about pricing is at this point a moot conversation.

www.queencityguard.com

Brother-Sergeant

Sorry to derail btw; I just think withe the Colossals talking about pricing is at this point a moot conversation.
    Unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere.....

But I'm sure we are all sick of hearing about that too, right?

Chapter-Master

Oh. Absolutely. I don't even know why we give that penal colony the time of day ;-).

In seriousness, the aussie pricing situation regarding GW sucks. But then again I can't say I'd mind making the average wage there either.

www.queencityguard.com

Brother-Sergeant

Oh. Absolutely. I don't even know why we give that penal colony the time of day ;-).

In seriousness, the aussie pricing situation regarding GW sucks. But then again I can't say I'd mind making the average wage there either.
    The crappy GW prices are just to even out how nice it is to live here

If we had normal prices too, we might all implode with eternal bliss and satisfaction.

My comment was more in terms of the GW vs PP / everyone else, pricing structure.

Sure, the Colossal is $135, but it will be around that here too (maybe $150 in most FLGS).

If it was $135 from GW, it would be $200 - $220 here (or worse). That is really the only basis for price comparison left, because they are pretty similar now in your hemisphere.

Down here it is another story....

Tbh, I'm actually happy the whole internet crack down with GW happened, as now I am waist deep in other games systems, and would never have found the "wider" world of gaming.

Still love me some 40K and Fantasy though, just not buying anymore of it...

Also, thread is officially derailed.

Scout

It's true, you guys get boned on pricing and it doesn't make sense.

I've moved on to board games. There's a lot less hassle involved, and many more people are willing to play.

I still love a lot about 40K, but I went from being a big-time spender three or so years ago to not having spent a dime in over a year. A combination of super high prices and Matt Ward has driven me away. The plastic is nice, though, and I may be tempted if this Chaos book is decent. I still love my old metal Chaos Marine with a Heavy Bolter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast