BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default lizardmen vs. wood elves - 1500 - text

Well, had another great time over at dynamicdoublers rents house. This battle went the opposite of our last battle of wood elves and daemons. Today, I bring you a game between wood elves and lizardmen an 1500 pts.

Lizardmen

Saurus scar veteran Shield, great weapon, cold one

Skink priest Level 2, lore of heavens, staff of sorcery

Skink priest Level 1, lore of heavens, cube of darkness

17 Skink javelin shield Brave, musician, standard bearer 2 kroxigor

10 Skink skirmishers Brave

9 Skink skirmishers Brave

18 saurus warriors Champion, musician, standard, spears

5 cold one riders Champion, standard

7 chameleon skinks Stalker

1 salamander 3 handlers, 1 extra Skink

Wood elves

Spellsinger Level 2, dispell scroll

Noble BSB, eternal kindred

Branchwraith Level 1, dispell scroll

20 glade guard Musician, banner of springtide

10 dryads

9 dryads

28 eternal guard Musician

5 Scouts

8 waywatchers

Deployment

Looking from the wood elf players pov, I setup my 20 man gg unit on the right side about a foot of the edge, on the left of them was a house, on the other side I had a unit of dryads, with branchwraith, block of eternal guard, with spellsinger and BSB, and another unit of dryads. I then put my scouts close to his lines in a forest, then my waywatchers on the left midfield. DD got the first scout placement and put his skinks in a tower on my right side. This was where I wanted to put the waywatchers.

Lizardmen deployed the chameleon skinks in a tower on my right side, to the left of them were his cold one riders. He then had a unit of skinks in the middle of his deployment zone. Next to them were his salamnder, saurus warriors, and his mixed unit of skinks and kroxigor. They were matched up nicely with my eternal guard and dryads. On his right flank, my left flank, he put his last unit of skinks.

Analysis: I did not like this deployment at all. His saurus, salamander, and Skink kroxigor units looked like they were going to blow up my main CC forces. My right flank of 20 glade guard looked in dire straits with dans heavy cav and chameleon skinks ready to rain down the pain. I dis however like my left flank. Waywatchers were in a good support position with no real near threats, and my scouts were going to be a nuisance in the woods.

Turn 1 wood elves

In my movement phase, I moved very little. My waywatchers moved up slightly to get within range of the kroxigor unit.

I did no magic.

My GG took 20 shots at the cold ones, but their 2 + armor save led to know wounds. What a waste right? My waywatchers shot at the kroxigor unit killing three skinks and putting a wound on one of the krox. My scouts killed one Skink.

Turn 1 lizard men.

His army moved up. His cold ones will be in charge range next turn, however he lost one rider to a difficult terrain test. He forgot to move his chameleons out of the tower.

During his shooting his one Skink unit was in range of my scouts, but because they were in cover and skirmishing, they failed to hit them. His salamander spat at my dryads killing 2.

Turn 2 wood elves.

I moved both my dryads back 5 inches, then failed a charge with my eternal guard on his salamander. I really did not know what I was doing here. I wanted my guys back to be out of charge range, but I was afraid of the salamander, so I charged it. I lucked out because if I would of stayed on combat, I would of had the saurus warriors on my flank. This was a time when my left and right sides of my brain wanted two different things and went with a mixture.

No luck in the magic phase.

My 20 GG now shot at the skinks in the middle. With the chameleons in the hard cover and 2+ armor of the cold ones, I chose to kill the skinks. Kill something before being killed was my mentality. My waywatchers killed some more skinks amd my scouts killed one more Skink.

Turn 2 lizard men.

The saurus warriors couldn't charge my eg because the salamander was in the way, and I believe the kroxigor unit failed its charge. He moved both Skink units forward, amd his chameleons out of the tower. The cold ones charged my GG, lost another to difficult terrain, and another one from my stand and shoot.

Magic went off, irresistable force, level 2 Skink now level 1. He gets to reroll ones or something.

In the shooting phase his skinks failed to kill anything, the chameleons didn't bother with the dead sentence GG, and the spear chuckera killed 2 guards men.

In CC the coldones crushed my GG, they fled he chased them down amd fed them to the cold ones.

Analysis: the middle is a mess, with me moving forward and backward, Dan moving up with the krox but not the warriors amd the salamander off to the side, who knows what is going to happen. All I know is my GG are gone and there goes my right flank. Now I have cold ones on my flank and I want to get away from them. Luckily there is a small house between us. That should by me a turn.

Turn 3. Wood elves

I run my left dryads forward to support the eg, the I run my right dryads behind the eg away from the cold ones. My waywatchers move slightly up.

No magic.

In shooting the scouts and way watchers weaken the kroxigor unit.

Turn 3 lizard men

The cold ones bice up to close the gap between our armies, the chameleons do the same. His saurus warriors and skinks charge my eg. The krox unit decides to throw the javelins instead of charging to weaken the block of eg.

Magic happens, but he irresistable forced again. His level 1 wizard is now a level 0.

Not much shooting, salamander kills some dryads, and wounds the branchwraith.

In CC , the eg successfully tarpits and kills the 4 remaining skinks on the flank. He loses a couple sauruses, I lose a rank of eg.

Turn 4 wood elves the turning point.

I declare a charge with the larger dryads unit on the withered down krox units, Dan decides to flee. I roll a good number and can now flank charge the saurus warriors. The other dryads move out of the way, more away from the cold ones.

The waywatchers continue to fling arrows at the fleeing krox unit. The scouts keep hitting the skinks amd cause them to flee.

Magic does something! I get call of the hunt off on my eg, and with the dryads I win combat by 4, and he fails and I run them down.

At this point the lizardmen have two fleeing units, a salamander that is eating his handlers, a group of chameleons finally in range, and cold ones in charging distance in my back field. At this point the game is over. But we continue because Dan is a great sport, and wants to spill as much elf blood as he can.

His skinks rally just to be shot up again and run, his krox unit rallies, is shot amd magicked and flee off the board. The salamander amd chameleons fight my eg. Salamander dies and chameleons flee. Waywatchers finish off the rest of the cold ones and general.

Game over.

I had a lot of fun, I didn't expect to win because I still do not know my army that well. I think my advantages were that Dan brought a fun shooty army and couldn't out shoot the famous asrai. If he would have had more saurus and cold ones, this bat rep would be completely different. Couple other things were he killed my 20 glade guard so quick, and they were kinda far away from the test of my army, the cold ones amd chameleons couldn't do anything else for long chunks of time. My stubborn eternal guard worked as a tarpit, but I was lucky that the krox unit and saurus unit had hard times moving because of terrain amd units in the way. If the krox saurus and salamander or skinks would of hit my dryads and eg at the same time. I still would have tarpitted him, but the dryads wouldn't of been able hit him on the flank which really turned CC.

I still want a crack at his deamon army, and I think he might want some revenge on my wood elves with his lizards. I look forward to another game with Dan. Rubber match coming soon.

Correct me if im wrong but can the scar veteran even use the shield if he's got a great weapon?

Brother-Sergeant

Good battle report, the only thing I could ask for is a couple of photos to help illustrate what's happening better.

Chaplain

Hi Planet,

Thanks for the report I enjoyed seeing my 2 armies in action, I haven't managed to get in a game in ages so it was nice to live vicariously. Please keep them coming!

Hi Neelam,

If I remember correctly the Scar Vet cannot use the shield while in combat, however it can be used to improve his save while not in combat, ie versus shooting.