BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default defensive items for necron overlords

I was wondering what you guys thought about the 2+ and 3++ save options for necron overlords. The war scythe , barge and maybe even MSS seem like easy choices , but the cost to go from a 3+ to a 2+ is kinda steep and for a 3++ it is really expensive.

This ties in to my tactic question. When do you drop them off? Do you ride them around on the barge as long as you can or hop out 1st good target you get for the charge? I have been doing the latter to mixed effect.

What your experience?

Chaplain

When I run an overlord with barge I will only give him a warscythe and fly him around the whole time. If the barge dies it dies. I feel that I can get more points with crypteks and other random units than putting it on the overlord. Though, if I have some points left over I will possibly give them something.

With 15 left over I would flip a coin for 2+ or mindshackle, they are both equally good but 2+ might help overlord get somewhere if he gets shot down, mindshackle will be good when he gets there.

If I had 30 points left I would actually give him an arrow instead of 2+/mindshackle. Since I don't plan on him getting out (unless I come across 1 or 2 guys on objective) I figure if I can pop a rhino or something equal good, than it is gravy. Could just as equally fail, but since I have had plenty of games where the overlord stayed in barge until end the 2+/mindshackle would also have been a waste.

3++ is something I would only do if I was running on foot. I really wish they had given stepped invul saves for the overlords, like 15 points for a 5++, 30 for a 4++. Not the best saves but it would be better than nothing. Also not as frakking expensive.

Battle-Brother

I would say that getting the 3++ is better than getting the 2+, if you have the points. In smaller games that is harder. The 3++ can give you more options on what to take out or when the barge blows up how long the overlord lives. MMS can change assualts and having the 3++ can allow you to live through that assualt to win the combat.

Chaplain

I never get the phase shifter option for my overlord. I often get the 2+ save when he's in the barge because I play against SW frequently, so they would need to plasma or melta him to death to kill him, but bolter and krak missiles would be ignored on a 2+. I face bolter and krak missiles a lot more than plasma, so he can live if his ride gets shot down. 3++ really would only work against the floating powerfist or power weapon, so I don't think it justifies its points. Against MCs or units like Mephiston Mindshackle Scarabs seem more cost efficient as a defence.
    Last edited by Necron_Lord; 03-09-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Brother-Sergeant

Scarabs first always the scarabs they have the potential to make the Overlord last longer than anything else.
    Weave or Shifter depends on what I am facing and points left.

Battle-Brother

Always should have MSS as they are so annoying. The 2+ isnt necessary, but the 3++ while pricey is always good

Battle-Brother

They are first and foremost tank hunters, So they need the war scythe. Although the thought of a ant- hoard lord with a 2+ save and a gantlet of fire is kinda interesting.

So I think the 2 builds are warscythe and 2+ or warscythe, MSS and shifter. Either you are running him into power weapon elites where you need the 3++ and it is worth it to get one off you or your not and the extra save would help more then getting a guys attack off you.

Scarabs, easily, if you intend on getting him close to the enemy.

I tend to run my overlord with war scythe, MSS, phaeron, and res orb. And a tachyon arrow bc he is in a unit of warriors with a cryptek with chrono allowing for some nice rerolls. I find that by placing him correctly you can use the warriors to block his flanks and the MSS becomes his save of sorts. I find it working much better than spending the points in the PS. Takes careful placement and movement though.

As far as the CCB is concerned I run a stock overlord with warsycthe only. I dont think it's worth putting any more points in than that
    For the Empire-----CHARGE!!!!!!!!!

A Lord (not even an Overlord) with MSS can go 1 on 1 with any Charachter or Monstrous creature in the game simply cos as long as the Scarabs work he will never take a hit.

I run a Winged Hive Tyrant and the only thing I won't charge him at is a basic unit with a Necron Lord in it because I don't want the most powerfull critter in my army being *****slapped by a 90 point (mss, orb and Scythe) unit upgrade charachter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast