BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    I didn't tell my wife that I enjoyed this hobby until we were married.

Dated 7 years then we come back from the honeymoon and I start getting the old models out of storage to find the wife peering over my shoulder asking ... "oh are those your little nephew's toys?"

Haha - she got a real kick out of knowing how much money I'd wasted on this stuff over the years :P
    That's hilarious! Did you not play for 7 years or were you a master of sneaking out for secret Sunday afternoon games?

10. Im having a tough time getting the girlfriend to understand that I would rather flock some bases and play with "little dudes" as she calls them, than go to a bar or watch the first season of glee again.[/QUOTE]

It's amazing how many wife/girlfriends/significant others would rather their man be into substance abuse and strippers than "nerd" stuff. They seem to be shamed by it.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Kenaris View Post
    It's amazing how many wife/girlfriends/significant others would rather their man be into substance abuse and strippers than "nerd" stuff. They seem to be shamed by it.
    Yeah, it make me sad. But, frankly, if your SO can't handle your nerdy hobby, they probably shouldn't be your SO. If you really love someone, you take an interest in the things they're interested in. That's one of the best ways to get to know them better and achieve a deeper level of intimacy.

Take my wife and I for example. Wargaming holds no appeal for her whatsoever, but she knows what most of my models are called, she buys me new models for Christmas and my birthday, she compliments my painting, and she even listens when I goob about tactics. She does this because she loves me and wants to show that what I care about matters to her.

Similarly, she's really into home organization and making photobooks on Flickr and Shutterfly. I couldn't care less about either of those. But, I give her my opinions about the layout of her photobooks, I help her organize and declutter the house, and I listen when she goobs about her new filing system. I do this because I love her, and I show that by caring about what matters to her.

Love is about giving a damn what the person you love is interested in, even if you wouldn't care about it on your own.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Chapter-Master

My wife doesn't play, but she loves that I play. She likes how much happier I am, she likes that I have an art project - and really enjoys both the finished product and marveling at my competence during the process - and she really, really likes that it gets me out of the house and out of her hair from time to time. She's taken to intentionally bating people she knows (at work, on web forums, etc.) who try to sympathize with her "wargame widowhood" and then turn around and tell them how happy she is that I've found such a fun hobby.

She also bought me a box of Sanguinary Guard for Valentine's day. She presented them and cried, shyly "for the Emperor!"

I have the best wife.

My girlfriend doesn't disapprove of the hobby, she just doesnt understand why it has taken such a hold over me. We will be out at a party or something, and ill have a epiphany and start doing some mathhammer. Or we will be watching glee, and I will look up lexicanum to check about a primarch's background. So i think it is more me than her, I'm just kinda obsessed with it right now, and it is so new, that she is wondering where it is coming from.

With that said she does enjoy the local hobby store and gives me ideas on how to improve my basing. We were at a larger not specifically a warhammer hobby store once, and she yelled for me across the store, "hey matt, they have your little dudes here!!" It was cute

14. I thought you guys were a little crazy for arguing and bashing the people who are in charge of writing the codices, specifically Matt Ward. But now i get it a little bit. I bought a box of immortals, and after putting them together, i found I had 5 arms and 5 deathmark guns left over. I have about 8 warriors that are broken. So i am going to convert them into deathmarks and crypteks. Excited by this I flipped through the necron codex to the deathmark entry and there it was, black and white, exactly the over embellishment ward was getting burned for on all the forums.

"They slip sideways out of reality and monitor the ongoing conflict from a hyperspace oubliette - a pocket dimension riding the gap between then and now"

Really, really? But it gets better. He then goes on to say that they monitor all kinds of communications from this hyperspace sanctuary, they then put a halo around the Target that will track them through FIVE dimensions.

Then there is a cherry on top. The halo will last for an hour, but an hour is a laughable time for a deathmark.

Are you serious?

I don't even want to take this free extra unit now. They have all this great power, yet can only shoot 24 inches.

Now I get all of your frustration

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by ComradePenguin View Post
    That's hilarious! Did you not play for 7 years or were you a master of sneaking out for secret Sunday afternoon games?
    I stopped playing back in 2ed and then started up again right before 4th. There was quite a hiatus in there in which the plastic army men stayed in a storage unit.

The circumstances under which I got back into 40k are quite unfortunate (dying friend wanting to play 40k for the rest of his days) but the wife story is a funny by-product.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    She also bought me a box of Sanguinary Guard for Valentine's day. She presented them and cried, shyly "for the Emperor!"

I have the best wife.
    Best. Story. Ever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    My wife doesn't play, but she loves that I play. She likes how much happier I am, she likes that I have an art project - and really enjoys both the finished product and marveling at my competence during the process - and she really, really likes that it gets me out of the house and out of her hair from time to time. She's taken to intentionally bating people she knows (at work, on web forums, etc.) who try to sympathize with her "wargame widowhood" and then turn around and tell them how happy she is that I've found such a fun hobby.

I have the best wife.
    Pretty much the same. My wife bought me Assault on Black Reach for Christmas when we were engaged. And this last Valentine's Day she bought me Assault Marines.

The only reason she doesn't like me leaving the house now is because she doesn't want to face our daughter (and soon, our son) alone in the evenings.

And she totally prefers me going to the LGS rather than bars, strip joints (not that I ever go to them, anyway), or who knows where else. It also keeps me off the computer for a while.

And I, too, have the best wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    I stopped playing back in 2ed and then started up again right before 4th. There was quite a hiatus in there in which the plastic army men stayed in a storage unit.

The circumstances under which I got back into 40k are quite unfortunate (dying friend wanting to play 40k for the rest of his days) but the wife story is a funny by-product.
    I feel for you about your friend. I came in the hobby the same way. My friend had luekemia for the 2nd time when he beat it and celebrated with buying necrons, which i helped paint with him. When he got sick for the 3rd time he wanted to play fantasy in his last days. It actually helped a lot. We had a large group of close friends hanging out waiting for the inevitable. Warhammer got ten early twenty year olds to take their minds off everything for awhile and work together, cutting glueing painting. It was fun. He ended up winning his only game. Both the necrons and wood elves came to me. So it is nice to share a hobby with a bf that passed away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast