BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default A relatively new 40k player's initial thoughts.

These are some of my initial thoughts of your hobby, and soon to be mine.

1. This crap is expensive.

2. Wait, not that expensive if you count modeling and painting as fun. Add that to the hours of actual gaming and meeting people. I would put it at a bargain.

3. GW amazes me. The models look awesome. I was putting together an annihilation barge together, and was amazed at not only the detail, but how they thought to put it together.

4. You guys have an awesome online presence. Websites, youtube, forums, and podcasts. I am very pleases with the amount of content that is available to me from a place like bols, and all the other sites i found through them.

5. I'm running the gamet of bols battle reports. I'm at like 70 something. I can't watch anymore SM vs SM battles. Also, if bigred or goatboy are not narrating the video, my enjoyment level goes down a couple pegs. No offense.

6. People love to whine and put down this hobby a lot on the forums. From competitiveness, to what units are good, to rumours and finecast. It gets to the point that I just feel sorry for some people that cant enjoy this hobby anymore, or forgot why they liked it in the first place.

7. My local gaming group is well organized. However, there seems to be clicks among the gamers, like highschool.

8. There seems to be this game called warmachine/hordes. I'll just ignore it.

9. I cant stop thinking about my next purchase/project. The glue is not even dry on my ghost ark, and I am thinking about what chapter of space marines I want to start.

10. Im having a tough time getting the girlfriend to understand that I would rather flock some bases and play with "little dudes" as she calls them, than go to a bar or watch the first season of glee again.

Quote Originally Posted by planet psyrum View Post

10. Im having a tough time getting the girlfriend to understand that I would rather flock some bases and play with "little dudes" as she calls them, than go to a bar or watch the first season of glee again.
    A few years ago I had a girl over to the house to watch a movie. She found my Orks lined up to be painted and asked about them. After my explanation she had a horribly confused look on her face and said "So its like Pokemon for big boys?"

Now we are married and she is quite proud of the models she paints.

Brother-Sergeant

My girlfrind hates when I talk about snorehammer. She says it makes her sleepy,from boredom.

Id have to agree with all of those points. Also, kudos for choosing necrons.

Scout

Welcome to the hobby

Scout

Congrats on your choice to start the hobby. My wife also chooses to make fun of my "little men" as she calls them, but she is a dork herself and can appreciate the hobby.

However, don't be so quick to blow off Warmahordes and other gaming systems. You'll eventually get tired of the standard "I go, you go" format of all of the GW games and want to branch out. I've been a loyal GW fan since the early 90's, yet I also play (or have played in the past) Warmachine, Flames of War, Dystopian Wars, etc.

Scout

First of all, welcome.

The price is the main downer for most gamers. Then probably unclear rules brought about by differing codices and rule books.

Sounds like you chose Necrons so you have good models, rules, movement, hth, firepower, etc. Check out the forgeworld scarabs if you use them.

Also, play in national events. They are far and away the best part of out game. Good luck and remember to have fun at all times. Some people forget this is a game with plastic army men.

Welcome to the hobby and i agree there seems to be lots of negativity about the hobby and it really is to bad people cant appreciate all the good time they spend on it.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by TheCoolGuy12 View Post
    A few years ago I had a girl over to the house to watch a movie. She found my Orks lined up to be painted and asked about them. After my explanation she had a horribly confused look on her face and said "So its like Pokemon for big boys?"

Now we are married and she is quite proud of the models she paints.
    I love the wording, pokemon for big boys....and girls as well, hehe. Your wife sounds pretty rockin.

6. People love to whine and put down this hobby a lot on the forums. From competitiveness, to what units are good, to rumours and finecast. It gets to the point that I just feel sorry for some people that cant enjoy this hobby anymore, or forgot why they liked it in the first place.

people will whine about anything, and I admit I do from time to time, but I always greet new things with excitement and an open-mind. I only started playing a year ago myself, and that I have gotten to this point, with my money issues, and still now have 1500 unupgraded points of nids makes me a very proud little girlie.
    Last edited by Emerald Rose Widow; 03-10-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add a quote
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

First-Captain

These are some of my initial thoughts of your hobby, and soon to be mine.

1. This crap is expensive.

2. Wait, not that expensive if you count modeling and painting as fun. Add that to the hours of actual gaming and meeting people. I would put it at a bargain.

3. GW amazes me. The models look awesome. I was putting together an annihilation barge together, and was amazed at not only the detail, but how they thought to put it together.

4. You guys have an awesome online presence. Websites, youtube, forums, and podcasts. I am very pleases with the amount of content that is available to me from a place like bols, and all the other sites i found through them.

5. I'm running the gamet of bols battle reports. I'm at like 70 something. I can't watch anymore SM vs SM battles. Also, if bigred or goatboy are not narrating the video, my enjoyment level goes down a couple pegs. No offense.

7. My local gaming group is well organized. However, there seems to be clicks among the gamers, like highschool.

8. There seems to be this game called warmachine/hordes. I'll just ignore it.

9. I cant stop thinking about my next purchase/project. The glue is not even dry on my ghost ark, and I am thinking about what chapter of space marines I want to start.

1st, welcome to the forums. Welcome to 40k and BoLS.

Now...

1). Yes. It is. There's normal inflation, and then there's GW inflation. The latter far outpaces the former.

2). Not everyone counts modeling and painting as "fun." Not everyone remembers that.

3). GW does make some of the best minis out there. Though I have to say after trying Infinity, I am blown away by the quality of their sculpts--in metal, no less.

4). Agree 100%.

5). He narration does get better, and don't discount Crazy Red Praetorian...he does a hellova job narrating as well.

6). Don't make the mistake of equating the miniature war gaming hobby as solely GW product. Also, a newbie making judgemental comments about veterans and their associated frustrations/experiences is kinda like watching a toddler try to make an omelette. It's messy, chaotic, and will not end well. *

7). Cliques are in every strata of society. Not just high school. You just have (hopefully) less drama re: the cliques when puberty and hormonal changes are out of the equation.

8). There are two wonderful games called Warmachine and Hordes. In fact there are several wonderful games out there that are as good, if not better than 40k. Being judgemental this early into you gaming experience--well, reference omelette making & toddlers above.

9). Well, you are truly bitten by the bug, then. Though it's mildly amusing you bash the number of SM vs SM bat reps a few posts up, and the talk about starting a SM army.

10). Welcome to the age old problem facing gamers. If she tolerates you playing, be happy. If she also gets involved, be ecstatic. If she dumps you, well, that is all too often the norm.

I hope you have a lot of fun in your gaming experience.

Just remember that the hobby is gaming and not just 40k, don't be a "Hobby Stalin", and you'll go a long way with that mindset.

*in similar fashion, I was teaching a fencing class once, when this guy says to me, having never held a sword, (fencing blade or otherwise) in his life: "You're doing it wrong." things didn't end well for him either...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast