BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the best Warboss/HQ

I'm just learning 40k and I love orks...but I need some advice what HQ is best for which style of play. I like the funkier aspects of orks more than the greentide. Advice?

Battle-Brother

Ghaskull is always a good choice. He is a just a beatstick and a tough one to get rid off. Attaching him to snikrots commandos and letting him run loose in a backfield is never fun to deal with

Also a biker boss can do most of the same as ghas, but for cheaper. Isnt as good overall, but still a beast.

You should almost always take one KFF mek no matter the list.

Librarian

I've been having a lot of fun with a Deff Dred list. Not won a bloody thing, but I couldn't care less because the list's a great laugh to play; lots of big scary walkers and quite a few smaller ones too.

Killa Kans are well worth your time. The models are relatively inexpensive, and they just look fantastic, plus they're relatively good with the shooting too (especially if you go up against light infantry and can make decent use of the Grotzooka).

Chapter-Master

Ghasgull and a Big Mek with a Kustom Force Field, end of story for every Ork army like, ever.

KFFs are basically the most annoying thing in the entire game, especially if you take a bunch of Battlewagons.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother

I think you should play with a weirdboy for a while. Afterwards start aiming your HQ needs to the base of your army. (Mind you, if you play with a weirdboy, attach a footslogging unit of shootas to him, so in case you teleport, 18" away from your target ain't so bad.)

Meks make vehicles great, Bosses make any troop great, and Weirdboys are pure random. Zogswart could probably squig Ghazghull, but Ghaz is the best for a lot of boys in a horde.

My next purchase is a big mek, who in all honesty is mostly a safe, defensive HQ choice.

I just recently gave mad dok a run....attached to a 19 man ard boyz squad in a BW. it really worked out well for me....feel no pain on that many bodies that already have a 4+ really had my opponent making some hard choices.

Battle-Brother

Mad Doc and giving them cybork sounds amazing. A /little/ expensive at 11 pts per boy, but something I'll need to try soon too!

Librarian

For stable results do what Darklink said, Ghazz and KFF Big Mek, for weird stuff happening every round, take Zogwort and a Mek with Shokk Attack Gun, and a power klaw just in case he decides to teleport into close combat...

Brother-Sergeant

I've faced down Ghazkull several times, and he's always scary. I think his best attribute, besides just being tough as heck, is the auto 6" run on the turn you use his Waagh! This is huge because it guarantees you an 18" charge capability, which is sufficient to get you through rapid fire range, saving you some boyz on the way in.

Chapter-Master

Ghaz is the answer to basically any problem that orks have. Facing something boys can't kill in CC? Throw Ghaz with a 2+ invulnerable save at it. The extra 6" and Fleet also gives you a crazy assault range with trukks and battlewagons.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast