BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thoughts on starting Circle?

I like the look of the new Circle of Orboros models and I'm considering starting Hordes. Can anyone give me an overview of their playstyle? Also, what are the best buys after the starter box?

Librarian

From what i'm told, the best buy after the Battlebox is another warlock, P-Kaya is seen as underpowered in comparison to the entire range of other Warlocks. Baldur and epic Kaya are good choices and Kromac can be fun.

Circle are my main hordes faction, I would define their play style as magic orientated, and manipulation/control. Their beasts can change your style considerably as the living beasts are generally glass cannons where as the constructs are pretty good tanks. The circle casters are magic orientated, you wont find many circle casters who can wade into combat (but there are a couple).

The first decision you should probably make is whether you most like the constructs or the living beasts. If your keen on the living beasts I'd start with the Battle Box; pKaya is a powerful caster at small point levels, but by the time your playing 25pts she is ineffective. If you prefer the constructs then I'd recommend missing the battle box and go straight to pBaldur with a few Wolds.
    I will assume your interested in the living beasts and are getting the battle box. For your next purchases you could not go wrong by getting a Gorax. The Gorax is often chosen as a support beast, mostly for its animus, but when you need something boxed a primaled feral warp wolf will be pretty assured.

The next best purchases would be a set of:
    a new caster (eKaya would be a good choice as all the models pKaya uses also work well with her),
    shifting stones with unit attachment,
    druid wilder,
    and a unit (two good choices are either druids or bloodtrackers with Naula both different units but excellent at what they do)

By this point you'll be able to play 25pts games with a few choices and what you'd purchase next would entirely depend on your individual playstyle. But those models mentioned would see a lot of use.

Also read the Battle College Mkii pages for more information, its a great resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    I like the look of the new Circle of Orboros models and I'm considering starting Hordes. Can anyone give me an overview of their playstyle? Also, what are the best buys after the starter box?
    I'd pick up a Gorax. To be honest, if you haven't already bought it, I'd pass on the starter box entirely. You don't need two Argii. Go on Ebay and pick up a few starter models. Chances are you will get a better deal.

Battle-Brother

Smile

Thoughts on starting Circle, eh?

*strokes chin*

Well, when you argue with them you'll never get anywhere and also it's really hard to corner them.

I have played a few games with circle using Kaya and then E-Kaya. I have to say that Kaya is very lacking but E-Kaya is both fun to play and potentially very powerful. I also agree that the start box is very meh, You are probably better off just picking up E-Kaya and a Warpwolf kit.

Chapter-Master

I can't recommend Battle College enough. Practically everything I know about my factions of choice (Cygnar and Everblight) is informed by careful reading of Battle College.

Take battlecollege with a grain (no, not a grain, a heaping tablespoon) of salt. You're much better off reading the faction book and drawing your own conclusions, there are lots of mistakes on the wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal_Wilhelm View Post
    Thoughts on starting Circle, eh?

*strokes chin*

Well, when you argue with them you'll never get anywhere and also it's really hard to corner them.
    They're pretty round about too!

Battle College is often wrong about things, so be careful.

I would recommend skipping the battlebox entirely, since many people don't like the Argus or pKaya. I recommend pKreuger as a first warlock with a Feral or Stalker Warpwolf, a Woldwarden and a Gorax, but you are probably going to have more fun if you just pick up your favorite looking models. If you want to use mostly constructs, pick up pBaldur, Megalith, a WoldGuardian and a box of Druids.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast