BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ork antitank

Veteran-Sergeant

Default Ork antitank

I'm part way through putting together a vehicle-free ork army and just realised that I've got a problem with being able to stop tanks, particularly armour 13 and 14.

I was just wondering what other people's experience has been. I've already got a couple of buzz saw equipped copters and I'll get snikrot so I can get a boss onto the back table, otherwise my initial thoughts on the options were:
    • Lootas - can't move & shoot so it's possible to hide from them and can't do anything to armour 14
    • Tank busters - too easy to bait and too hard to control
    • Nob squads with power claws - points sink
    • Nob squads on bikes with power claws - bigger points sink and the unit cost will limit the amount of boys on foot I could take too much
    • Mega nobs - too slow ( really need transport)

So, given the general theme of no vehicles, what are everyone's thoughts, i.e. have I just got it wrong or do vehicle-free orks armies just have a problem with vehicles.

Two words: power klaws. You've mentioned putting them on Nobz mobz but where are your Nob leaders for your Boyz mobz?

Brother-Sergeant

I would have said deff-rollers, but.....

I'd go for a warboss on bike with power klaw, and just save him for the right moment to get a hit on an armor 13-14 vehicle. You could take a few bikers for protection, depending on available points.

When you say a "no vehicle" army, does that mean no bikes as well? So all foot sloggers? If so, then just cram as many power klaws into your squads as possible.

In saying that, you are always going to struggle when you limit your build via theme, but this shouldn't be such a bad thing. You will just have to get creative!

Battle-Brother

Eh. Ork anti tank is already a weak point, taking out vehicles makes it that much harder. I like tankbusta's just keep them screened with grots until you need them (they have to shoot/assault a vehicle if in line of sight, which isn't too bad since that what you want to do with them 99% of the time anyway). A14 is usually a land raider anyway, so it will likely be coming towards you anyway.

Librarian

if you want no mech, aka no vehicles, then lootas and powerklaw bikers are your best bet. one thing to look at is small squads of bikers or deffkoptas with klaws/buzzsaws, the Mek with Shokk attack gun is one option, but not a very good one, you also got the Grot artillery, Zapp guns and Kannons, their cheap BS 3 units that are easy to hide in cover. and with ammo runts a squad of 3 Kannons comes to 69 points. If you take Ork mobz(you should) then give them rockets (1 per 10 orks in a unit)

The problem with foot orks will be the lack of a ranged AT option. It's the big weakness of that style of ork army.

Chapter-Master

Orks really need a deff rolla or two. Klaws and rockets on everything that can take them. Lootas are a must, despite the fact that every ork player I've talked to say they consistently fail to do anything. Tankbustas can kinda work, if you take vehicles to control their LOS so you can shoot them at what you want.

But Deff rollas are Orks best anti-tank. They're amazing. Between deff rollas, kffs and Ghaz's Waaaggghhh, orks have enough nasty tricks to be one of the most competitive armies in the game.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Deffkoptas with Rokkit Launchas might surprise you, they've killed a fair number of tanks over the years in my army. And, asmentioned above already, Big Guns are cheap and can put a dent in armour aswell

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Orks really need a deff rolla or two. Klaws and rockets on everything that can take them. Lootas are a must, despite the fact that every ork player I've talked to say they consistently fail to do anything. Tankbustas can kinda work, if you take vehicles to control their LOS so you can shoot them at what you want.

But Deff rollas are Orks best anti-tank. They're amazing. Between deff rollas, kffs and Ghaz's Waaaggghhh, orks have enough nasty tricks to be one of the most competitive armies in the game.

The times that I have played my orks I have found lootas to be extremely useful. For either pouring on the wounds to a squad or montrous creature, or destroying light vehicles/transports. Admittedly they are only semi useful against av 13 and useless against 14 of course. On another plus side, if you have a full squad lootas also give you the chance to roll 45 dice at once for shooting Even though not too many usually hit...

And without vehicles I would say rokkitts for that chance to pierce av 13/14 and as said powerklaws for melee tank busting. And a warboss or two with klaws to give you that strength 10 klaw attacks is mighty nice.

the orks best anti tank is putting a power klaw pretty much everywhere you can. That being said Lootas are both awesome and flexible able to shoot up light tanks and force armor saves on any infantry i have been consistently and pleasantly surprised be them. And someone else said it deathkoptas with missiles can move around lots and get twin linked to help with the joke that is ork accuracy they can really do good things.

Brother-Sergeant

I realize the Glory Hogs rule makes people wary of Tankbustas, but I really haven't found it that big of an issue to deal with lately. Now that most armies are pretty heavily 'Meched Up', the best term I can give you is 'Target Rich Environment'. This goes doubly true if you're running a foot list. Those large Mobz of Boyz start to take up a lot of real estate as they spread out on the board and that makes it very hard to hide vehicles (or anything else for that matter) by even the second or third turn.

I'm not saying that Tankbustas are the rosetta stone of Ork anti-vehicle, but I've had good luck with them in the past few games I've played simply because there are enough vehicles on the board that it's tough (thought not impossible) for opponents to lead your Tankbustas around with things they can't destroy given that most people want their Rhinos, Razorbacks, Dreadnoughts, etc. to be doing something other than running from a Mob of Tankbustas. That tends to bring them into the unit's threat range pretty easily.

The other methods of getting rid of armour definitely work as well, I just figured I'd weigh in on Tankbustas. The amount of tanks of the table these days has definitely given them a new lease on life as it were.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast