BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thinking About Tyranids

So, I got to thinking about Tyranids, and started thinking of daft ways the book could be improved. It's not like I'd be able to do it, but it's fun right?

Anyway, an idea hit me which I figured could be helpful: Give most units the same ability to be taken as troops as the Tervigon. The best way I thought of it was

The biggest complaint I see about tyranids is that the elites slot is too packed up, and you can't take everything you "need". Doing it this way would allow for an effective 3 slots extra, bringing more toys to the table and allow some interesting units to become scoring. Overall, it would improve the versatility of the army, and probably shake them up a little.

Obviously, there would need to be some kind of restriction. 150 points split between 3 units of Termagants would obviously be crazy if it allowed you to take a Carnifex or something. So, it could go something like:

"For every full sized Troops choice you take, you can take a non monstrous creature unit as Troops".

Means you need 27 Warriors/ 60 Genestealers/ 90 hormagaunts or termagants to be able to take 3 extra units, and it can't be "broken" by someone wanting to take 9 Carnifexes (If that kind of thing is ever done :P )

Opinions?
    When life gives you lemon's... should have used a condom.

Wink

That's actually a pretty good idea. It wouldnt be game breaking and actually supports the fluff by having giant broods. Maybe a clarification that a Termagant squad can't unlock the troops slot for a random unit and then also a Tervigon? Id probably only use it once in a normal army list with a large H gaunt squad and then tack on some Zoeys (those always seem to be that 4th elites choice I want but never can take.)

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Diagnosis Ninja View Post
    Obviously, there would need to be some kind of restriction. 150 points split between 3 units of Termagants would obviously be crazy if it allowed you to take a Carnifex or something. So, it could go something like:

"For every full sized Troops choice you take, you can take a non monstrous creature unit as Troops".

Means you need 27 Warriors/ 60 Genestealers/ 90 hormagaunts or termagants to be able to take 3 extra units, and it can't be "broken" by someone wanting to take 9 Carnifexes (If that kind of thing is ever done :P )

Opinions?
    Nid players can legally field 9 Carnifeges (a pun to today's GW blog entry on Carnifexes) right now as they can take 3 broods of 3. Bascially the only units which aren't MCs one would want to take would be in the Elite slot as it is crowded with good units which compete with one another. It might make for a decent house rule.

If anyone on the GW blog is wondering, the plural for rex and lex is reges and leges, so the plural for Carnifex would be Carnifeges and not Carnifices. -ices is the plural ending for words ending in -ix. There, Latin lesson is over.

Upon reflection, Carnifex could have the -ices plural ending if the e preceding the x was short as the plural for codex and judex are codices and judices respectively. I am sure the GW bloggers would lobby hard to say that the final e in Carnifex is short to support their position.
    Last edited by Necron_Lord; 03-12-2012 at 07:30 PM.

The best way to improve the Tyranid book is to go back to using the old tyranid book.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Necron_Lord View Post
    Nid players can legally field 9 Carnifeges (a pun to today's GW blog entry on Carnifexes) right now as they can take 3 broods of 3. Bascially the only units which aren't MCs one would want to take would be in the Elite slot as it is crowded with good units which compete with one another. It might make for a decent house rule.

If anyone on the GW blog is wondering, the plural for rex and lex is reges and leges, so the plural for Carnifex would be Carnifeges and not Carnifices. -ices is the plural ending for words ending in -ix. There, Latin lesson is over.
    Noone actually ever fields such a squad though because it costs an arm and a let to do so. Just basic brood of 3 carnifeges is 480 points, I mean that is no upgrades at all. Ouch.

I wanna run a brood of fexes though one of these days, just to have fun with it, but I doubt I would ever run 9 of them. Sick as that thought would be.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Brother-Sergeant

I like the idea but I might tie the additional slot to specific troops; ie Genestealers-Lictors, Rippers-Venomthropes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziac45 View Post
    The best way to improve the Tyranid book is to go back to using the old tyranid book.
    I totally agree.
    More versatility, with more units.

I miss those days...
    Last edited by Eupackardia; 03-13-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eupackardia View Post
    I totally agree.
    More versatility, with more units.

I miss those days...
    QFT, however if you look around you can find some semi viable builds!

You are playing a dangerous game when you mess with a codex and foc slots. What happens if you start slaughtering your opponents? You will probably have to go back to Cruddace's codex. I think this kind of thing is fine when playing with friends, but I sincerely doubt you will get a pick-up opponent to agree to these rules shifts.

Well, in that case, I'm sure it could be extended to cover all codexes as a Force Organisation mod for a scenario.
    When life gives you lemon's... should have used a condom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast