BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Scout

Default Salamaders, 2k Pts

I sorta acquired a Salamander force I had been building for my son. It is currently sitting at 1k pts. I would like to bring it up to 2k to play with the people up at the local DL store here in Austin. I was hoping some people could give me some advice on how to ramp it up a notch or two. It is centered around Vulkan...of course. Here is my current play list.

Vulkan
    Space Marine Captain with Lightning Claws and Digi Weapons
    Full Strength Tac Squad with Melta and Multi-Melta in a Rhino
    Min Str Tac Squad in Razorback
    Min Str Assault Termies with Storm Shield and Thunderhammer

I am thinking of adding a Land Raider Redeemer to carry my Termies and Vulkan.
    I was also thinking of adding a Thunderfire Cannon, I have some neat ideas on how to Dragon it up.
    I am trying to keep it thematic so I don't want to add really any fast attack, especially not assault or Land Speeders.
    Since I don't play tournaments, I did think of taking the Captain out and replacing him with Bray'arth Ashmantle and loading him in a Droppod. However if I do so I think I want to use the conversion kit from Chapterhouse on the drop pod, which means I can't use the special Dreadnought droppod. I guess I could proxy the droppod for the special dread one. Again, I don't play tournaments.

Ideas?

*pics to follow of what I have so far*

Chapter-Master

Just HOW many models are you doing atm? a thousand ultramatrnes, a salamander army AND a world eater army?!
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Scout

Default Lot's of time...lot's of time.

I am early retired from the Army. I have an incredible amount of spare time on my hands. There was a point there that I was painting anywhere between a well painted solo to a squad a night. If I do ALL blueberries, or all world eaters at once then I will quickly get sick of looking at them. Also as for the blueberries, I am not doing 1k minis...lol. Five Battlecompanies are roughly 500 + 5 Chaplains and 5 Command Squads(so 25). So that equates to roughly 530 minis. Then I have 3 Dreads in the 4th Company, and 2 for the other 4 Battlecompanies. Then I will have my Librarians...let's say maybe 10 total...prolly not that many. My Techmarines, again less then 10. Oh and of course Marneus, and his Honour Guards, which is 28 in number...plus Cassius. When it comes to vehicles...my wallets says ouch. I want to have enough rhinos/drop pods to deploy all my tac/devastator squads. Oh and I can't forget my scout company, the good 'ole 10th. So not QUITE 1k marines.

As for the World Eaters, I am not that aggressive. I am prolly going to only make a company. I will of course have some daemonic assistance.

The Salamanders last of all, will ONLY be 2k in pts. Just a friendly play force. If I start to burn out though...I did always want 2k of Red Scorpions...apothecaries anyone? LOL

Scout

Default Dreadnoughts

Dreadnoughts are a great way to add punch to your army and keep with the Vulcan He'stan theme. You can go with a standard dread with multimelta and heavy flamer or an iron clad with melta or flamer. Shove em in a drop pod and send one out first turn to deny a good section of the board, not to mention get that multimelta in range for first turn shooting. Also gives your opponent something else to shoot at besides your rhino's for a turn or two.

Get drop pods for everything, I have like seven and it works well for my sallies.

I think a Melta-Heavy Flamer speeder would be very fluffy for a Vulkan list...and would maximize his twin linking ability. Or if you wanted the overkill, go with a melta-melta speeder.

Scout

The redeemer with vulcan and the TH/SS termies in it works really well in any environment. I've always enjoyed putting a full squad of Sternguard in a drop pod with a bunch of combi-meltas to be very effective as well. They never tend to last the whole game, but they are always good for killing something. My vindicator always seems to do well for me also, with so much fire concentrated on your Land Raider and the Sternguard you can usually get off a few shots with the vindy before it gets popped.

Just my two cents, even though the SM book is extremely outdated at this point you can still put up some good fights with ol' Vulcan.

Scout

I know it's been said, but Vulkan, and assault termies in a LRR is a great package. One thing I like to add to that is a tech marine or master of the forge. That way you get out the tank to assault and get to fire a flamer, hvy flamer, twin linked plasma all before the assault then you add the tech marines power axe, and two power fists from the harness added to the combat. Makes a super punchy unit and makes the most of transport capacity.