BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Initiate
    Good question. Demons ate the Farseers and my compass broke.

Default 1,500 point Eldar list for a tournament

Yes, I realize the hilarity of the thread title. I know I'm not going to win, so I just want to have fun while still remaining competitive. Any tips, critiques or comments are welcome.

I am debating two lists, both mechanized.

List 1: this is DAVU reliant, with Eldrad and the Seer Council there to apply some CC beat down if necessary.

Eldrad 210

Warlock Squad (5) Embolden, Enhance, Destructor x3 175
    Wave Serpent Shuriken Cannon x2, Spirit Stone 110

Fire Dragons (6) Exarch, Dragon’s Breath Flamer 108

Fire Dragons (6) Exarch, Dragon’s Breath Flamer 108

Dire Avengers (6) Exarch, Power Weapons, Shimmershield, Defend 114

Dire Avengers (6) Exarch, Power Weapons, Shimmershield, Defend 114

Falcon Holofield, Spirit Stone, Shuriken Cannon 170

Falcon Holofield, Spirit Stone, Shuriken Cannon 170

List 2: This is more geared towards a reserve-denial approach to gaming. Also, the Harlequins are there to ***** some ***** up in CC, with the help of Doom and a charge. I know they can't charge out of the Falcon, so I'll have to be creative in getting them to charge.

Autarch Fusion gun, Scorpion Chainsword, Mandiblasters 95

Farseer (with Harlies) Doom 80

Fire Dragons (7) Exarch, Firepike 132

Harlequins (5) Harlequin Kisses For All!, Troupe Master, Shadowseer 140

Dire Avengers (10) Exarch, Power Sword, Shimmershield, Defend 162

Dire Avengers (10) Exarch, Power Sword, Shimmershield, Defend 162

Fire Prism 115
    Fire Prism 115

Falcon Holofield, Spirit Stone 165

Again, I appreciate any help.

Hey bud, long time mechdar player in 5th edition here and I feel the age of our codex as much as you do! You've got the standard wave serpent load out going on, I still like spending the extra 10 points for an underslung shuricannon but I know that a lot of folks are against it due to making our expensive transports even more so. The first criticism you'll likely see is to trim down on some of your aspect warrior goodies. Exarch upgrades+powers can really add up especially when you double or triple them for redundancy, at the end of the day your main workhorse in a mechdar list are your AV12 energy shield/holofield gunboats and the obligatory fire dragons. That being said, I'm liking your lists but at 1500 I think your footprint is fairly small, meaning your enemy won't have too hard of a time with target priority. The second list is stronger imo just because you've got 6 different boats for him to shoot at instead of the 5 in the top list. You can bet money that eldrad's ride and the firedragon boats are taking all the shots turn 1&2, especially since none of your other transports are carrying anything else nasty. I like storm guardians for some extra melta once my fire dragon slots are full, or SSpears or assaulting warlocks to help bust open rides as well [S9 witchblades=legit].

I've actually begun moving away from mechdar, mainly cause I'm just tired of playing it and have wanted to start working on something new. At 1500 I've used an 6Lock,1Seer,1Autarch+LasLance on jetbikes to really bring some scare to my opponent. They'll soak up a ton of shots with Fortune rerolling 3+ cover, 3+ armor, or 4+ invul and buy your dragons and other bits time to get where they need to be. Keep the group to less than 500 pts though, it's a lot of eggs in a basket if you give it a go.

Lastly, my last nugget of advice about your second list. Do the harlies need a ride if they have a shadowseer? I understand that it speeds them up but a lot time they're more than fast enough to get where they want to be ignoring terrain penalties and decent run rolls. Shadowseer makes the average shot only spot them at 14" away, well within their charge range as well so they could likely walk to where they need to be. And I didn't see Fortune in the second list at all, which I think is a huuuge benefit for the clowns in case they don't wipe their opponent before he can swing back. Just food for thought! Good luck!!!

Battle-Brother

Seconded for the aspect warriors. I've found that with 6 fusion guns the added effectiveness for the fire dragons isn't worth it. I don't like tooling the DA exarch up for close combat either, it makes the unit expensive and they'll still get shredded by anything half competent in CC. Maybe scrap the shimmersheilds and direswords as well as the dragon exarchs and invest in shooty stuff for the DA exarch if you still want him. A unit of three jetbikes to capture points last minute as well as to shot their shuriken cannon and dive back into cover could be good too.

I'm also wary of the farseer/harlie combo, just because that unit is going to die very quickly. That turn disembarked will see it chewed up by fire, and even then it might do too well and find itself out of people to kil at the end of your assault phase. This is a bigger problem since the DA could really use a farseer's help. If you want to do that unit though, maybe take fortune so your harlies can survive the initial turn of bolter fire when they disembark.

The Lost Autarch those of us who play Eldar competitively understand what you mean. Just have a good time and surprise a few people when you can.

List one:
    I am not the biggest fan of double shuriken cannons, but that is more of a play style issue than anything else. Most of the time I find that I need to move more than six and would then forfeit the second cannon.

I'm not sure how often you find to use for it but I haven't often seen the need for the Dragon's breath flamer on the exarch.

The avengers upgrades don't seem to useful either. Even with defend and shimmershield, a squad of 6 probably won't be alive very long if engaged in combat.

Please note that all of these comments are a choice of play style. If you like the way it plays go for it.

List two:
    I agree with armchair autarch, I think fortune will help out your harli's a lot.

Apart from that, most of the comments are the same . Double shuri's could be dropped, and the dragon's breath.

However, with the 10 man Dire Avenger squads I can understand more the upgrades. A squad that size might survive combat long enough for the Harli's to help out.

Two side notes, I don't have the codex in front of me, but I think that the Falcon in your second list needs to have a second weapon. And secondly, if you are putting 2 shuriken cannons on your serpents I believe they cost a little more each. Again I don't have the codex in front of me but something to check out.