BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default Warhammer 40k on the BBC!

Well on their news website anyway, with a nice article about the games 25th anniversary. You can read it here:

[URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17274186"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17274186[/URL]
    Last edited by Brakkart; 03-12-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Chaplain

Actually that was pretty decent and it didn't put the hobby or hobbyists down at all. Conceding that the hobby is a bit 'geeky' is true, and the bit about it skewing heavily towards males shouldn't come as much of a surprise. I wonder what the demographic for Strawberry Shortcake merch is?

Nice to see the hobby getting some decent and non-negative attention across the pond!

Quote Originally Posted by Necron_Lord View Post
    Actually that was pretty decent and it didn't put the hobby or hobbyists down at all. Conceding that the hobby is a bit 'geeky' is true, and the bit about it skewing heavily towards males shouldn't come as much of a surprise. I wonder what the demographic for Strawberry Shortcake merch is?

Nice to see the hobby getting some decent and non-negative attention across the pond!
    Be ye not ashamed, wear that geek badge proud. AND WE SHALL KNOW NO SHAME!!!!!
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by gendoikari87 View Post
    Be ye not ashamed, wear that geek badge proud. AND WE SHALL KNOW NO SHAME!!!!!
    I am not and have never been ashamed about being in the hobby. I have always had an artistic bent and found TT wargaming a fun and enjoyable way to spend my time. Playing golf or watching sports all the time has never interested me in the least. Painting my undead robots and drugged-up sadistic space elves and playing war with them is much, much more fun!

Chaplain

I revel in my geekery. It is who I am. I found the movies "Revenge of the Nerds" to be an uplifting and self-affirming series of movies. Once, when I was drunk with geekery I stripped naked and rolled about in my bed covered with my 40k models. Alas, it was a bad idea. For many were broken. And spiky bits got lodged in some very uncomfortable places.
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Hey, at least the article wasn't like that one in the Greek media a few months ago... (the one that basically made 40k gamers out to be devil worshipping, racist anarchists)

Chaplain

I'm still incensed by that piece of garbage passing for journalism! Clearly she knew nothing about the game, approached her article with an assumption guiding her narrative, and her interview method was questionable. Likening the Black Templars to the ****s just on the basis of the colors red, black, and white?!? Anyone who knows nothing of them can tell, just by looking at a model, they're based on the Knights Templar.

This BBC article covered "The Hobby" in a very good light and was written very well. And I'm not even fond of the BBC but I'll praise that article. I also liked that it addressed the issue of prices. But I can't help but wonder...

How much does Games Workshop advertise over there in England? If at all? And how do they advertise? Here in America I've never seen any single advertisement (in any form available) for Games Workshop. As a kid a lot of stuff that interested in me would be advertised in comic books. So I'd have thought GW would at least do that. Or maybe even a television commercial. But I've never seen a bit of advertising at all. Is there some reason they don't do it?

Chaplain

I liked the art on the covers of White Dwarf, Rogue Trader and the Realms of Chaos books. My local comic book store also had gaming stuff, so just by getting their product in comic book/hobby stores, the demographic they wanted to reach would be exposed to it and have a chance to check it out.

Librarian

Impressive, I think they put the game in a decent light, with a good level of honesty on the interviewers part. It is true there are very few women like myself in the hobby, but we is here and the community deals with us mostly well in my experience.

Overall though its nice to see an article/video/anything that paints hobbyists in a positive light instead of making us look like devil worshipers.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Chaplain

I think some television ads would serve GW well here in America. Especially since video games have spread the word of the game. DoW and Space Marine both introduced a lot of people to the 40k universe who never would have known of it otherwise. And since America is such a heavily consumer based culture I think some TV spots would get more people into the game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast