BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    I think some television ads would serve GW well here in America. Especially since video games have spread the word of the game. DoW and Space Marine both introduced a lot of people to the 40k universe who never would have known of it otherwise. And since America is such a heavily consumer based culture I think some TV spots would get more people into the game.
    It would certainly help, but sometimes its difficult to get gamers into this hobby because video games are so much easier. Video games are a lot easier, still enjoyable, and require little to no effort to play these days, hence the appeal. Personally I prefer tabletop as it allows me more creative freedom in my opinion.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Hey I sort of kind know that guy in the video.
    (well, not really, but we follow each other on tumblr. He mentioned that he had been interviewed the other day.[URL="http://cadarn.tumblr.com/"] http://cadarn.tumblr.com/[/URL] )
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Chaplain

Excellent point. Video games are cheaper to buy. And easier. Hell, a new PS3 and some games is much less expensive than a fully completed army. At least a high point army that is. I also think the cost of models makes it harder for me to recruit people to the game. Around here nobody has that kind of money. I'm still puzzled as to how my opponent managed to assemble nearly 20,000 points of Blood Angels, not to mention other armies, with only his wife's income to do it on. And he did this in less than 5 years of playing. Whereas in my 15 years I've spent far less on armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Rose Widow View Post
    It would certainly help, but sometimes its difficult to get gamers into this hobby because video games are so much easier. Video games are a lot easier, still enjoyable, and require little to no effort to play these days, hence the appeal. Personally I prefer tabletop as it allows me more creative freedom in my opinion.
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Chapter-Master

I dont believe TV ads would help GW at all. They would simply eat up their profits. In the UK you are hard pressed to find a sizable town or city that doesn't have a GW store tucked away somewhere, and the mystery of what they actually contain is almost always enough to keep them busy (save for those tucked right out of the way!)

I know there are a lot more towns in the US, and I believe fewer GW stores, but the cost of running a national advertising campaign for a year would cripple GW. And then they'd only have advertised what they can no longer afford to sell.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by gendoikari87 View Post
    Be ye not ashamed, wear that geek badge proud. AND WE SHALL KNOW NO SHAME!!!!!
    Mind if i use this as my signature?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Necron_Lord View Post
    Actually that was pretty decent and it didn't put the hobby or hobbyists down at all. Conceding that the hobby is a bit 'geeky' is true, and the bit about it skewing heavily towards males shouldn't come as much of a surprise. I wonder what the demographic for Strawberry Shortcake merch is?

Nice to see the hobby getting some decent and non-negative attention across the pond!
    What article did you read?

I avoid piece about the Hobby in the mdeia because of the condasending tone they always take

From the headline of "Why are grown men still launching tabletop war" you can already read that is made up its opinion of belittling things

EDIT - Also...don't read the comments. Theres 3 different people all claiming to be Rick Priestly...
    Last edited by DrLove42; 03-13-2012 at 05:30 AM.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Librarian

He spells necrons wrong the second time he uses it But i liked the article it seemed to embrace the geekyness of the hobby, at the same time looking at it from the outsiders point of view.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    What article did you read?

I avoid piece about the Hobby in the mdeia because of the condasending tone they always take

From the headline of "Why are grown men still launching tabletop war" you can already read that is made up its opinion of belittling things

EDIT - Also...don't read the comments. Theres 3 different people all claiming to be Rick Priestly...
    The hobby appeals to those who like making things like train modeling. There is also the escapist appeal and the gaming appeal. I am the only person with artistic tendencies in my family, so they really don't understand the appeal of making a decent-looking toy army just as I don't understand the appeal of trying to hit a small ball in a hole a couple hundred yards away while talking about sports and business deals.

Most people aren't into creating things or are imaginative. When you're that way as a child it is seen as a phase to grow out of, and some do. Some are just that way and don't grow out of it, people like me. Say unlike music, being good at painting minis won't make you lots of money or help you get laid, so the majority of people will have some difficulty understanding that. The title is oriented more toward the outsider as a general interest article and some hobbyists tell the reporter why it still appeals to them post-college. I didn't find the article condescending and the fact that some people will put down others who are different is just human nature, at least it is fairly common to observe that sort of behavior.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by News Article
    Kathryn Turner, 13, is playing a doubles match with her father Stephen against two strapping 30-something blokes. The poker-face calm with which she deploys her Tyranids (world-devouring aliens) is impressive.
    been discussed before but man Tyranids are pretty popular with female players.
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by The Madman View Post
    been discussed before but man Tyranids are pretty popular with female players.
    The Nids may have been 'Dad's Army'. She said that she was interested in doing Sisters of Battle next, armored nuns with flamethrowers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast