BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Cool 2k Black Templar list. Please critique

2000 Point Black Templar list that I have been working on with the thought to take to NOVA this year with me. Can you guys critique it for me? I have had a lot of play testing vs GK (all GK henchmen and Paladin) lists as well as some nid, DE and BA tests. I haven't had the time to fully flush the list out against IG Necrons or Wolves which is why im asking for opinion.

HQ: Marshal (5#, 415 pts)
    1 Marshal, 153 pts = (base cost 80 + Chain Fist x1 30 + Storm Shield x1 15 + Tank Hunters 3) + Terminator Armor 25
    1 Adamantine Mantle, 35 pts
    1 Terminator Command Squad, 0 pts
    1 Sergeant
    1 Terminator with Chainfist, 48 pts
    1 Terminator with Cyclone Missile Launcher
    {Tank Hunters}

: Emperor's Champion (1#, 140 pts)
    1 Emperor's Champion, 140 pts = (Accept Any Challenge)

Elite: Sword Brethren Terminator Assault Squad (8#, 571 pts) -Tank Hunter
    1 Sword Brethren Terminator Assault Squad, 0 pts
    7 Terminator with Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield
    1 Land Raider Crusader, 270 pts Dozer Blade

Elite: Sword Brethren Terminator Squad (5#, 270 pts) -Tank Hunter
    1 Sword Brethren Terminator Squad, 0 pts
    2 Terminator
    1 Terminator with Chainfist

Elite: Sword Brethren Terminator Squad (5#, 265 pts)
    1 Sword Brethren Terminator Squad, 0 pts
    3 Terminator

Troops: Crusader Squad (5#, 80 pts)
    1 Crusader Squad, 0 pts
    5 Initiate with Bolt Pistol and CCW,

Troops: Crusader Squad (5#, 80 pts)
    1 Crusader Squad, 0 pts
    5 Initiate with Bolt Pistol and CCW,

Troops: Crusader Squad (9#, 178 pts)
    1 Crusader Squad, 0 pts
    6 Initiate with Bolter
    1 Initiate with Meltagun
    1 Initiate with Multimelta
    1 Drop Pod, 30 pts

So as I said since it is for NOVA we have been playing games using standard NOVA terrain setups and missions from last year. So the list works with the EC going with the TH/SS terminators in the LR, the other terminators forming up on foot around them, i typically hide one 5 man unit on an objective while reserving the second. I like the DP squad and have been toying around with them having BP/CC but every game I find myself longing to come down and rapid fire something since im not assaulting anyway. A few games I have felt the need to have more boots on the ground so i have slogged them with the terminators and dropped an empty pod. The list functions fairly well with forcing my opponent to Mid Field where there is typically a scrum that im usually able to game for for a turn and prepare and have come out on top so far, usually securing my game by then. The worst match-up I have come across so far has actually been a friends Paladin list, which i just cant seem to beat, the combat is forced to happen and I for the life of me virtually never come out ahead in that, loosing to much at In 6 and 4 to recover even with Storm Shields. I have some points I can work with to make some adjustments, but overall what is the opinion of the list?

Haven't played much 40k in the past 8 months or so, but it does seem like a good list. If I had to find fault with it I would mention that it does seem a bit light on model count. Assault termies with the AAC vow I just absolutely love, but with that many points invested in all those termies, it does seem to minimize the affectiveness of the vow cause of the low model count. I personally like taking 2 or 3 neophytes in my troop sqauds (meat shields). I like running 3 Land Speeder Typhoons, but wow all those cyclone missile launchers i'd love to see all of them in action! Black Templar are the best!

Chaplain

I would've went more with lightning claw termies than shooty ones. At least one squad of them. But instead of deep striking them in so they can get shot up when they arrive I'd carry them in a Crusader. Black Templar assault termies are brutal! But that's just me. The list is light on troops but what with a goodly hunk of them being termies you'll be fine. I do think you have a disturbing lack of fast attack. An assault squad or bike squad with attack bike wouldn't be bad. Especially if you equip the squad to pop tanks. However, since the termies can deep strike you'll get around the lack of mobility imparted by other other fast attack choices. Over all this appears to be a fairly strong unit. I'd also consider sticking in a Hellfire dreadnought to give you some additional heavy support. Yeah, I know, this pattern seems out of place in a Black Templar army but having two heavy weapons you can always fire when moving makes up for it since the Templars don't have much in the way of heavy support.
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.