BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default books novels and the like

What should the first 40k novel i should read? Horus Rising ?

I think the Horus Heresy series is the best thing the Black Library has produced. At first it seems like they are stretching the story but almost every book I've read is well written and seems rich and a story in their own right.

Horus Rising is a good start.

Chaplain

Exclamation Depends on your main interests.

Well it really depends on what your main interests are.
    Space Marines, IG, Xenos etc or just the back story of the Heresy.

From a writing standpoint I would recommend anything by Dan Abnett or Sandy Mitchell.
    If you are into learning about the Heresy then start the series with book One.

If you want a good ongoing Guard series you cant go past the Gaunts Ghost series & then if you want something with lots of very clever humour yet with intense battle scenes get the first Caiphus Cain
    novel "For the Emperor" by Sandy Mitchell & I guarentee you will want all the rest of the Series.
    Regards Barry H. "the Emperor Protects!"

Chapter-Master

Really does depend on what exactly you want to read about. Can't go too far wrong with imperialsavant's advice, but I'd also like to add in the Last Chancer's Novels if you can get hold of them (13th Legion, Kill Team then Annhilation Squad) and Soul Hunter was a pretty good read as well.

In terms of value for money, I'd strongly consider getting one of the omnibus books. Then again, if you find you don't like the auther's style, you could find yourself struggling through 3 books and a couple of short stories rather than having a great tome you struggle to put down.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Brother-Sergeant

The first three Horus Heresy books are a great start. Great story, good writing, really added to the setting for me. Like reading up on history to better understand the present. I'd also strongly recommend the gaunt's ghosts series. Probably the most consistently good 40k book series.

The first book I read was the Assault on black reach novella back when I was first getting into the hobby, I quite liked it as an action book and it's a quick read, but if you're more interested in characters than gunfights I would go with Something by Dan Abnett, his books are mostly serious and he can write some really wonderful characters. I can't recommend Ciaphas Cain enough, but I would read some other books first until you get a better grip on the general lore of the 40k world.

Veteran-Sergeant

My first BL book was a 40k era book about the army was playing heavily at the time. Its really easy to get hooked on BL when you're reading about your army.

After the 1st one anything in the Horus Heresy series is almost a sure winner.

I recommend Eisenhorn. It's what got me into the warhammer novels. I read the Blood Angels Omnibus as my first into into 40k....bad, so bad.

If you just want a one shot intro into the Heresy, the biggest moment in the 40kverse, read The First Heretic. It explains what the heck chaos does/is and wtf the Eldar were doing.

Battle-Brother

Yeah Horus Rising is pretty good. I've found Dan Abnett to be a very good author, and would recommend pretty much anything by him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast