BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Clarity regarding Gets Hot rule.

This is something that's always confused me. As I recall the rulebook simply tells us if you roll a 1 with a plasma weapon the model takes a wound. So you make a save. If you fail then the model is a casualty and removed from play. But what happens if you pass? I've always assumed in this scenario the model still gets to use the plasma gun and it has simply cooled back down.
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Brother-Captain

If you pass the save, your model doesn't take a wound - everything continues as per normal.

Don't forget that even if you, say, fire a plasma gun within 12" to double-tap, and one roll gets hot but the other hits, you still get that one shot off, regardless of whether the model firing the plasma gun dies or not.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Chaplain

Hmm, I never knew that. I've rolled two shots and had one get hot. And every time I essentially threw away the one that didn't! I hate learning I've done something wrong after a game!

As Kawauso said, you do not get the shot off if you pass your armor save. The rapid fire shots are separate (and simultaneous) but for example if you fire a plasma cannon you roll a separate gets hot roll before you scatter. If you roll a 1 the scatter simply doesn't happen / the shot is a complete miss.

Chaplain

This is why all plasma weapons need to be on vehicles!

Also if you have multiple Plasmaguns in a unit, say IG Plasma-Vets, and you're double-tapping (rapid fire) you should roll each gun seperate. If you roll all 6 dice at once and get 3 Gets Hots you dont know if 1 guy rolled snake eyes or if they each took a wound.
    Kind like Master Crafted Thunder Hammers. Seperate rolls on each.

That's a good point; it never occurs to you until after you roll them together once or twice.

Chaplain

I always make sure to roll for each special weapon or character's weapon separately. My "big bag o' dice" is a Crown Royal bag. And it's full of about 100 dice scavenged from numerous board games. Mostly white dice. Some big ones. Some little ones. But the best thing is I have numerous dice of different colors. Blues for plasma! My yellow dice appear to be cursed though. I use them for heavy bolters and get a whole lot of misses out of them.

Scout

Okay, I understand that if you roll a Gets Hot! result you take a wound and must make a save. However, do you get a save if the plasma's AP is lower than your armor save or does your dude just die as in normal combat?

Veteran-Sergeant

Your not actually getting hit by the plasma gun shot. It's just a in-game reason to explain it go too hot to actually hold on to. It's just a normal armor save with no Ap value. You can also use Feel No Pain if you fail that armor save.
    BOLScon 40k Judge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast