BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tau Lament

Default Tau Lament

Please tell me there is someone out there that is actually winning with Tau. I've played over a hundred games since June of last year, and I think I can count a handful of ties and even less wins...tonight was the last nail in the coffin for me with regard to the Tau.

11 to 2 against and for Necrons. I killed two Annihilation barges, and two Transports, and at the end of turn 5, I had one XV8 commander, 3 Firewarriors, one XV88 (out of 6), and 10 Kroot left- while my opponent had 90% of his force left on the board. This is beyond humiliating because it happens 99% of the games I play.

I even used the forgeworld sanctioned units! I used 3 Tetra scout skimmers, and 2 Sensor towers which make one unit per turn twin linked!

There's got to be someone out there who's winning consistently with the little blue nerds... If you are, let me know, otherwise I've got a completely modifiable tau army for sale. Cheap.

First-Captain

Tau can win, but to do so are incredibly expensive. and its limited to one kind of army really, Battle suits.

Tau really need a new book.

Also not to gripe, but your only allowed 1 sensor tower.

I Do know what you mean tho, I havnt used my tau in a while. But Looking forward to them being redone, however there is the problem that phil kelly is doing Templars so might wanna save my money for that dex.
    For the Greater good.

Veteran-Sergeant

You can take one unit of 1-3 Sensor Towers, not just one tower. Also I run 50/50 with my current Tau.
    No Kroot or Vespids, a unit of Pathfinders, 4 VX-88, 1 Ion cannon Hammerhead, 2 each units of Fire Warriors w/ pulse rifles on foot and pulse carbines in Devilfish, O' with bodyguard, 4 Fire knife suits.
    Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill, however nothing beats rolling all sixes.

Fly Lord

I've been having mixed success with a somewhat mobile list, but its a constant uphill struggle.

Post your list and let's see what you are dealing with.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chapter-Master

I think part of Tau's problem is the prevalence of cover in 5th. They have never been that great against MEQ armies, other than with tooled up suits, but with decent deployment they always stood a chance against the lesser armoured factions. Now, as almost everything should be able to get it's 4+ cover save until it gets in to combat (apart from possibly a throw-away unit at the front providing said coversave if necessary), the Tau just don't have the time or shooting phase ability to deal with most lists.

They can still win, but it really does take an above average player to win consistently; even then you are going to need one of only a handful of usable lists and a decent slice of luck.

That's what you get for fielding a bunch of communist hippies though :P
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

First-Captain

Keep the faith.
    I believe the new codex will be awesome with many new shiny things to balance the field of play nicely.
    I have nothing to support this, I just think they will make a bunch of awesome models with awesome rules to make us re-build our armies. I hope so any way.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Panxer View Post
    Please tell me there is someone out there that is actually winning with Tau. I've played over a hundred games since June of last year, and I think I can count a handful of ties and even less wins...tonight was the last nail in the coffin for me with regard to the Tau.

11 to 2 against and for Necrons. I killed two Annihilation barges, and two Transports, and at the end of turn 5, I had one XV8 commander, 3 Firewarriors, one XV88 (out of 6), and 10 Kroot left- while my opponent had 90% of his force left on the board. This is beyond humiliating because it happens 99% of the games I play.

I even used the forgeworld sanctioned units! I used 3 Tetra scout skimmers, and 2 Sensor towers which make one unit per turn twin linked!

There's got to be someone out there who's winning consistently with the little blue nerds... If you are, let me know, otherwise I've got a completely modifiable tau army for sale. Cheap.
    Don't worry buddy I know its disheartening but I've only won 1 game in 4 years with chaos and marines and tau ( admittedly I've only played my tau once) . I love my tau and have come up with a suit list so im hoping that's gonna cut it but if I'm honest I play for the fun of it and seeing my mates. Keep the faith dude , its all for the greater good

Quote Originally Posted by SotonShades View Post
    I think part of Tau's problem is the prevalence of cover in 5th. They have never been that great against MEQ armies, other than with tooled up suits, but with decent deployment they always stood a chance against the lesser armoured factions. Now, as almost everything should be able to get it's 4+ cover save until it gets in to combat (apart from possibly a throw-away unit at the front providing said coversave if necessary), the Tau just don't have the time or shooting phase ability to deal with most lists.
    Well if people are playing with too much 4+ cover then they are doing it wrong. No really. Not everything supplies a 4+ cover save either. Fences, grass, etc might be 5+ or even 6+. Just becuase its cover does not make it 4+. Tau can do great at lower point levels. Around 1000 points, Tau can shoot you down really fast. I played 1000 points of WH vs Tau about a year ago and got every transport shot out from under me in turn 1. Tau can lay down a blistering amount of long ranged firepower at those levels.

Actually Tau are virtually the only army in the game with the ability to completely negate cover on any kind of target, and they tend to rely heavily on it themselves, as their models are very vulnerable, so they're quite happy with the newfound prevalence. (4+ cover is also the standard for almost every terrain piece- there are some that are other values, but they are the exception, not the rule.)

Winning with Tau is very possible. (Kirby and I over at 3++ both play Tau on an irregular basis and have had success with them.) The problem is that A, you really only have one workable Tau list and B, it is very easy for the dice to turn against you. Tau's poor morale means that all too often you are one casualty away from scooting off the board without a glance backward, and with battlesuits being so expensive and central to your strategy, that's not a loss you can really afford.

If I were to make some brief suggestions for the OP's list, I'd say first of all, get yourself some Kroot. Kroot are vital to the Tau plan- they stand between you and the enemy and absorb a charge. Sure, they die because they have no armor save, but so what? You WANT them dead so that you can shoot at the enemy some more. Run at least two units of Kroot (preferrably 13+ models) to act as "screens" between you and the enemy.

Second, lose the extra Fire Warriors; they really just don't add all that much firepower and are too vulnerable. Kroot can jump into a Devilfish if necessary (and, y'know, they're alive), but FWs just don't do anything particularly helpful.

Third, you're probably going to be better off without the Ionhead. A Railhead is defendable up through ~1850 or so, but there's nothing an Ionhead can do that something else can't do better.

The Shas'o is also likely better as an 'El (cheaper, not really any worse) and the bodyguards as regular XV8s (significantly cheaper.) Sensor Towers I haven't used much, but my intuition is that they aren't all that amazing, but with the new update to Tetras, they totally are worth their points and more- run however many you have.
    http://www.3plusplus.net/ : better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I have to disagree. I've been playing Tau for three years now and I have only lost two games the last two years (around 40 games). So far I've won against Orks, GK, BT, SM, 'Nids and BA.
    I run three suits plus the commander, 90 kroots, 2 railheads, three broadsides and three warfish with crew.

I really don't know HOW you win with Tau. All I do is play and try to make the best of the situations i happen to face. One advice I can give, though, is to plan every move maticusly and react properly to the things that don't go as planned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast