BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tau Lament

Chapter-Master

Sometimes the Tau can kill things that "broken" armies can't. My Blood Angels can't do anything against my friend's Wall of Tanks IG, but if I'm lucky I can put a dent - or more than a dent - into him with railguns.

Brother-Captain

Y'know, if you went all crisis suit and you could scrounge up the extra legs....
    [url]http://musingsofametalmind.blogspot.com/2012/02/tauchikomatic-tutorial-how-to-build.html[/url]
    I love these little guys so hard.

Brother-Sergeant

I really like the way Tau look. Unfortunately, I decided against picking them up as my first army due to overwhelming poor reports from other players and store owners as well as the fact their codex is so old.

I would LOVE to see a new Tau book. I would totally snag it and build an army of them, because they're just a COOL looking army. Love their fluff, too.

Battle-Brother

I do really well with Tau on average. It is not a very forgiving army though, and you have to have a near perfect understanding of the rules. The 3++ site has some very good info for the budding Tau players or those in need of help.

Blocking, controlling movement, and patience are really key to doing well with Tau.

Another fun thing about Tau? Every point they spend on close combat load out is a wasted point for fighting Tau. Buck naked guardsmen pummel them. Assault Terminators? Can you say overkill?

Learn to accept some losses. And yes to 3++. They seem to be one of the premier strategy sites in the hobby.

One important key to winning with Tau is you can't get attached to any units. If something reaches hth with a unit of crisis suits, run away let them die! another important thing is fire warriors are terrible, one and done! Kroot are their best troop option. Lastly devilishs are you sacrificial lambs. Use them in the most annoying ways possible to hide your units prevent theirs from making assaults ect...
    Tau has major morale issues however, this is their primary problem. Your always a couple wounds from a hvy bolter away from a failed morale test and the loss of a 200 pt unit.

reading this is slightly depressing since i'm starting a tau army. although i read somewhere that if you become good with tau, you'll be even better with a more current army.

I'm waiting for the new codex to start my Tau army. Partly because I think they're going to be awesome, and partly because I think the new models are going to be awesome.

Scout

I'm sure this has probably been said already, but when I played Tau, the best thing to do was hunker down with as many railguns as you could afford, making use of terrain and cover with your fire warriors. I've had some success against Blood Angels and Grey Knights with this strategy. Mounting your fire warriors in Devilfishes so they have a quick escape also tends to help. And plasma rifle/ fusion blaster / multi-tracker suits for jump-shoot-jump on termies or annoying independent characters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123