BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default painting white fur

anybody got any tips on painting white fur? i started my new thunderwolves today, and the first one i did for my new wolflord and wanted to make him a white wolf. i based with dheneb stone then brought it up, but the problem is that he now looks like snowy from tintin. anybody got any other methods or techniques theyve used? any suggestions/tips are greatly appreciated.

Chapter-Master

fortress grey -> slowly mixed to skull white.

that should do it heres a photo of it on a eldar autarch

visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Try using some black wash, but thin it down, preferably with rubbing alcohol. Carefully applying a few layers of that can tone down the glowing white wolf effect

Chapter-Master

I did an albino skaven slave for the WFB 8th Ed release. I'll get a couple of pictures as soon as I can, see if it is more the effect you are looking for (and then I'll try to remember how I painted it...)
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

My wife's cat has white fur, and one thing I have noticed is that the fur has a pale yellow tint. I'd paint the fur white, wash with a glaze of 50/50 Skull White and Sunburst Yellow mix to get the crannies in the fur tinted yellow, then paint Skull White on the fur.

Chaplain

Dont use Sunburst Yellow!!! Too strong, even with half white. But bubonic brown-bleached bone-skull white could work well.

Whilst on close inspection the cat may have bright yellow bits in the fur, it dosn't translate to models too well. This is the same reason we paint sand to look like sand, because real sand looks weird stuck to a base.

Google a pic of an arctic fox- they have greyish ton es on their top side and yellow mixed in on the underneath.

Arctic wolves seem to be a bit greyer still.

Whilst polar bears have a full on brown-yellow look on the underside.

I found this thread on another forum discussing the same topic perhaps they can assist you.

[url]http://s3.zetaboards.com/The_Ammobunker/topic/176624/1/[/url]
    Ahhh- I might be having a heart attack!! I am over weight, over fifty and I am speedballing tranq darts and pure adrenaline!!

Chapter-Master

Is this the kind of thing you are after?
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Brother-Sergeant

Okay sir I have limited experiance with this having painted the giant bear minion from hordes, so here goes.

Everyone is right white fur isn't really white it's like an off white with brownish yellow innards/ underfur, so the way I did mine was a base coat of either vomit brown, bubonic brown or snake bite leather, then a few rounds of drybrushing using your base color bringing it up using bleached bone. At this point give it a slight wash of Devlan mud then dry brush some skull white with a dash of bleached bone, re-wash in devlan mud and apply a final very light dry brush of pure skull white.

Sorry man didn't take any photos wip or otherwise and I have since sold the model. If you can trust me it's a good scheme just eats up a bit of time to do all the layering and drybrushing and if you're good enough a bit of a highlight would. Be warranted in this case.
    Last edited by prof.cephalopod; 03-15-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Chaplain

If it goes wrong wack some faint grey stripes or spots on it and everyone will be like 'oh look at the cool stripes/spots!

Adrian Wood I think, an Ork guy from White Dwarf back in the day always beleived in covering everything in detail to hide bad painting. If a paintjob goes wrong I do the same thing.