BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Scout

Default Does anyone else use the Quartermaster list building app for iPhone or iPad?

I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago and at first failed to see the point of it. But recently i realised it took me to input all the values from the codex (which is rather tedious) but when its done is actually incredibly useful. You input your army and its values from the codex and you can create lists with or without the extras you have in seconds. At the minute im steadily going through the Space Marine codex and entering all of the units and characters onto Quartermaster, so if anyone gets it and would like a full SM template to build their own specific lists PM me and i'll be more than happy to share. It really beats writing out lists on paper from the book, but i must admit i felt like a bit of a wally slapping an iPad down on the table last time i went to play at Games Workshop. So i transfered Quartermaster to my iPhone and sent myself the template i had built and it worked a dream. So for all you Apple users out there this comes recommended from me. It would also be good to hear from any other users of the app to see what they thought? Also if anyone is up for sharing templates i would be a willing recipient.

Thanks,

Immolator

Hey, I have quartermaster too and am looking for the space marine template. I have most armies (except orks de and dark angels) if there's any your looking forblet me know. My email is being pm'ed to you.

Battle-Brother

Can either of you give me a quick run down on how this works? Is it similar to army builder, with the exception of you have to add all your own stats? Is it easy to use? Can you save a template for a necron lord with all the options and then choose what options to take with a total? I use iBodger a lot for warmachine and it would be great to have something for 40k.

It's not that simple. You have to find some one with the template or build it from scratch . Compared to ibodger it's a ton more user input for very little gain . However, it can do near everything army builder can do ONCE YOU set up the templates. (hours of work ) or find somebody with the ones you want (hard to do but necrons are out there if you look around)

Scout

Well, whilst i agree its time consuming initially the simple fact is that the information needs to be entered onto these sort of things and someone has to do it. It would obviously be a copyright infringement for Mr Quartermaster to sell the App with all of the codices loaded onto it. The point is that its a template that the users edit. Rather than avoiding it i think its good to get people using it and entering information onto it, but then sharing it with each other. If lots of people are inputing data and knowledge then sharing it with the community that use the app it will have a full database in no time at all.

In reply to Soss; yes it is easy to use, apart from the fact you have to enter your own data. But that actually doesn't take that long really. Honestly, i dont want to sound like a mindless fanboy for this App but it is great when you have it working. It has all mannor of sharing functions and forum code generators if you like to publish lists which is also cool. In answer to the question about options you basically enter in all the 'extras' you want to put onto a unit on individual character with how many points it costs and you can turn them on or off as you choose. Its pretty simple once you are going.

I've start using this app a few weeks ago and i love it, just need to find the files... Working on a BA version now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokolosh View Post
    I've start using this app a few weeks ago and i love it, just need to find the files... Working on a BA version now.

When you get the blood angels one done can you send me a copy?

Librarian

The only issue I can see is that because it is user entered, there is room for mistakes or people deliberately editing things to their favour. Due to this ability and my general distrust of other people, if I saw someone using this at a tournament I would force them to verify with the TO to make sure all the values and words are correct. Wheras with army builder there is still the possibility of mistakes, but they are verified by a company, and I believe have the backing of GW on this one.

On a casual game I could not care less, mainly because casual games are just for fun. In a competitive environment people will tweak and misrepresent the rules, some or more circumspect about it, some aren't. Due to this in such an environment I would not trust someone with this application. TBH that is my only hold up, other than that it seems like a cool application that could be beneficial to many.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Scout

I completely disagree with that, if you looked at their load out you would be able to instantly spot what they were doing. Trust me, I use this and if I jinxed the numbers someone else would be able to spot it quickly. This isn't a replacement for the codex, merely a quick way of list building.

I do think this generates a bigger point that I might make into a topic; should Games Workshop make an official App? I think they should, what about anyone else?

Battle-Brother

I'd love to see an official GW list app...but I'm not going to hold breath for it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast