BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HK Missiles and Flaming Multiple Units

Two quick questions:

1. What direction can a HK missile fire? Is it front forward or is it thought to be pintle mounted with 360 arc?

2. Is there a target unit when you are using a flamer? For example, I have a dreadnought, with a flamer arm, and a melta gun arm. In front of me is a unit of necrons, behind them is a Ghost Arc. Can I target the ghost arc, so the melta shot is resolved against it, or do I have to target the closer unit, as the flamer hits them first?

What if the flamer does not reach the arc. Does it still hit the interveneing models? We read the template rules but it was very vague in the regards of targeting.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Demonus View Post
    Two quick questions:

1. What direction can a HK missile fire? Is it front forward or is it thought to be pintle mounted with 360 arc?

2. Is there a target unit when you are using a flamer? For example, I have a dreadnought, with a flamer arm, and a melta gun arm. In front of me is a unit of necrons, behind them is a Ghost Arc. Can I target the ghost arc, so the melta shot is resolved against it, or do I have to target the closer unit, as the flamer hits them first?

What if the flamer does not reach the arc. Does it still hit the interveneing models? We read the template rules but it was very vague in the regards of targeting.

thanks
    1) It's Pintle mounted like a storm bolter would be.

2) You are targeting the unit you intend to assault.

Chapter-Master

weapons that are not in range automatically miss.

Brother-Captain

1) Unlimited range, unlimited LOS, basically, anything on the table is a legal target for an HK.

2) at least one model for the target unit has to be under the template, otherwise a miss, and you have to maximize the number of models in that unit before you could lay it against another unit. Any other models caught under the template, as long as the other two requirements are met are bonus. I did this in a tourney once, target two units of daemons side by side. I was only able to hit 4 guys max in the target unit, and so I laid the template in such a way that it could also hit two guys from the other unit to optimize it's effect against both units. I opponent called it fair. Now, I don't know what the offical stance is on this, but other's I've seen do it, go along with tihs as well. Some drop the requirement of maximizing, as long as you hit at least one in the target unit, you can hit as many as you want in the other.

not that I am saying you guys are wrong, but can you pull sections from the rule book to back this up?

Brother-Captain

1) HK Does need LOS... I have an older book where it says anything, whlie both the new IG and new SM book don't. But otherwise, both say "krak with unlimited range" As for mounting, both SM and IG vehicles give it as hatch mounts in the kit, which swivel, thus are pintle/turret mounted for arc of fire.

2) BRB pg 29 "place the template so that its narrow end is touching the base of the model firing it and the rest of the template covers as many models as possible in the target unit without touching any friendly models." RAW, no mention of second unit betwen but if target is on other side of another unit and can be hit, then it gets hit too as long as that intervening unit is not a friendly unit. I've seen some people drop the part about maximizing the number in the target unit, but it's in the rules.

Chapter-Master

also page 17:
    any model that is found to be out of range of all of the models he can see in the target unit misses automatically-his shots simply do not reach.

Ok just to be clear, it is perfectly fine to target the "back" unit with your flamer, even though there are models in between, however if the flamer fails to hit said model, it misses, and any models covered that are in between you and your targeted unit are not hit. Correct?

Occuli Imperator

Almost
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonus View Post
    Ok just to be clear, it is perfectly fine to target the "back" unit with your flamer, even though there are models in between, however if the flamer fails to hit said unit, it misses, and any models covered that are in between you and your targeted unit are not hit.

If my opponent tried to shoot a HK at a distant unit and claim he could flame my near unit, I'd roll a d6 and tell him

1-2 - I am going to punch you
    3-4 I am going to Slap you
    5-6 I'm packing up my models and walking away.

Hope I roll a 5 or 6 for your sake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast