BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default First Ever Black Templars List

Ok, so some of you may have seen my attempt to create Brother Maynard which has, coupled with a little excess cash, inspired me to build a Templars army for him to lead.

Without further ado, here's the list;

Emperor's Champion, Accept Any Challenge - 140pts
    Brother Maynard (Marshall), Power Weapon, Storm Shield, Holy Orb of Antioch, Frag Grenades - 116pts

Dreadnought, Smoke Launchers - 108pts
    Dreadnought, Smoke Launchers - 108pts

Crusader Squad (Ten Initiates, Six Neophytes), Bolt Pistols, Close Combat Weapons, , Power Fist, Meltagun - 240pts
    Crusader Squad (Ten Initiates, Five Neophytes), Bolt Pistols, Close Combat Weapons, Power Fist, Meltagun - 230pts
    Crusader Squad (Five Initiates), Bolters, Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun - 96pts
    Razorback, Twin Linked Lascannon - 90pts
    Crusader Squad (Five Initiates), Bolters, Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun - 96pts
    Razorback, Twin Linked Lascannon - 90pts

Assault Squad (Ten Initiates) Power Fist, 2 Plasma Pistols

Total is 1559pts.

There you have it. The eagle-eyed among you may have noticed that it's basically two battleforces with two Dreadnoughts, a Neophyte from by bits-box and a lot of bitz thrown in. Kudos, it is. My primary concern with this is cheapness; I have £150 to spend, not including bitz because they don't count.

My basic thoughts are that the two mixed Crusader squads get an IC each and basically just charge at the enemy. The Dreadnoughts go with them. The other two Crusader Squads sit back with the Razorbacks and provide fire-support. The Assault Squad is my reactionary reserve, to reinforce wherever it's needed. Viable? As mentioned this is my first Templars list and so I've never played with them before and have no idea how this army will do. I don't care if it's not super-competitive, all I ask is that it is able to hold its own.

What would you be adding to this to take it up to 2000pts?

By the way, I'm open to a completely different list if you think this is rubbish but bear in mind that I only have ca. £150 to spend (until I win $400 from Spikey Bitz, that is) so more cash-expensive units will mean dropping the points total and it'd be helpful if you could get it around a nice round number like 1000 or 1250.

Cheers.
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage

Are the 2 big squads walking? That would be rough.

I would say, get some Assault on Black Reach Marines sets. You can usually find the entire marine part of it for less than a box of Terminators. Use that to get the 2 dreads and 10 Terminators. Buy 2 land speeders, use the typhoon missile launcher pods to give each 5 man squad of Terminators Cyclone Missile Launchers. Then, use the speeders as Multi-Melta/ Heavy Flamer Platforms cause you already used the Missiles . The Tactical Marines aren't really that useful, but they could count as your troops, if you are using shooty small squads. A couple Razorbacks, and you are good to go then.

I have heard almost no one using Assault Marines with BT. Maybe a 5 man squad with meltabombs and Powerfist? They cannot RZ, and are kind of expensive...

Thunder hammer terminators are still very good. Not so much foot slogging but with the ability to re-roll hits and wounding everything on a 2 + Hammernators are very very dangerous.
    Our lascannons shall provide illumination to the Emperors word.