BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default 3rd Party Flying Bases That Don't Suck

Does anyone know where I can get third party flying bases for vehicles - like Tau grav-tanks - that don't suck? I went through two GW flying bases for one tank in one night. It was kind of ridiculous. Does anyone know where I can find better flying bases? Links appreciated.

Thanks.

Chapter-Master

Why not just use regular bases? Most people flock over the clear portion of the bottom anyways...

www.queencityguard.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Why not just use regular bases? Most people flock over the clear portion of the bottom anyways...
    The problem isn't the bottom, it's the top. The place where a flying base slots into the bottom of a vehicle is very small. It's strong enough for a small model, like a land speeder. For anything large, like a Tau grav-tank, it isn't strong enough and the typical jostling a model takes as it moves around the board is enough to snap it.

Over and over again.

Chaplain

I've only had this problem with the long ones (like on the drones), not the short ones that are meant for a devilfish/hammerhead.

Im afraid if its still an issue, that your going to have to find something stronger than plastic. Try Brass rod- its not as good looking though. It comes in many sizes so just get the one thats the same as a flying base insert. Cut it long, so instead of needing a ridge to stand on it can hit the inside of the hull for extra stability/ less stress on the material.

Veteran-Sergeant

Do a search for Speepy's Stems on ebay. The last stems you'll ever have to buy.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
    Do a search for Speepy's Stems on ebay. The last stems you'll ever have to buy.
    I'm not finding Speepy's Stems on ebay :-(.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    I'm not finding Speepy's Stems on ebay :-(.
    Sorry about that.

Search for "aluminum flight stems" and it should find them for you.

Chapter-Master

use high powered magnets on the stems. Then you can drop your tank all over the place and it wont break the base.

I've always thought the[URL="http://www.back2base-ix.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=54"] Back-2-Base-ix[/URL] magnetic flights stands were pretty good. You'll need to do some drilling for the magnets, so its better for a new kit.

Chapter-Master

I like the speepy bases. Simple problem - simple solution. These SOBs won't break!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast