BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

When I collected Tau I had a similar problem - I had one tank that had three stem tips rattling around in it. I eventually gave up and sat the tanks on clear plastic cases I found at my local hobbystore - they're the same material and size as those Chessex dice cubes, but with a clear lid. The wider area meant they were more stable, and if the tank was trying to hover somewhere where terrain would tilt it, or the longer base wouldn't fit, you could flip it 90 degrees and make it fly a little higher with a smaller base. Worked great, but I've since sold off my Tau.

well if you're up for a little DIY, you can create your own stands.

just take the inside diameter of the flight stand base, find a tube of aluminum that's as close to that as possible, and then get a piece of steel rod that fits inside the aluminum tube. mate that steel rod to the hole in the tank, cut to length and call er done.

Scout

The only problem there is the price. Quite expensive for a piece of rod. I use Brass / steel rod. paint it black and use green stuff to fill the whole to the right size. I have Storm ravens fitted this way as well as all my tau Skimmers. This gives me the option of having the exact height and tilt that I want. I got a cheap length from the local DIY store.

Chaplain

Wish I had better pics of them, but this Eldar Player used those Magnetix toys:

There's a rare-earth magnet in the base and also in the vehicle:

Holding up Wave Serpents:

[url]http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetMysteryShadow/TurkeyDay+Apocalypse+2012/11270025.JPG.html[/url]

They're strong enough to even hold up those Forge World Warp Hunter Grav Tanks:

[url]http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetMysteryShadow/TurkeyDay+Apocalypse+2012/11270051.JPG.html[/url]

Hope that helps!
    Melissia Wrote: "I think the secret to getting more people to stop calling you an arrogant elitist douchebag is to stop being an arrogant elitist douchebag."

Hopefully no one minds my adding my two cents as I'm in a similar boat but not for vehicles. I've gotten my hands on a number of old metal Nid gargoyles without bases. GW wants a buck piece for the small clear plastic flying bases. I'd prefer something a mite cheaper. Anyone know of any 3rd party sources for these? Thanks in advance.
    1. There are female marines and my Sunhawks will explain it to you.
    2. We are the Emperor's Children and we WILL redeem our honor.

Chapter-Master

I took a 1/8" magnet, drilled a hole in the bottom of my Eldar skimmers, and glued it in place. Then, I took a 1/8" aluminium tube and slid it over the flying base's stem, poured a bunch of glue down it, and closed the top off with the other 1/8" magnet. Extremely sturdy, and very stable. I'll see if I can get a picture uploaded.

Edit: Here you go

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00367.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	284.7 KB 
ID:	7319

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00368.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	7320
    Last edited by DarkLink; 02-14-2014 at 04:21 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother

what size and strength of magnet did you use?
    1/8" in one direction, what was the other?

Chapter-Master

1/8th for both. Just some random rare earth magnets a friend gave me. I'm sure you could find them in ebay or amazon easily.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12