BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by herigonz View Post
    Do people normally field multiple jacks of the same type? Or I guess does it vary from strategy to strategy? I have to admit that I've seen the most for Khador so their warjacks are the ones I'm most familiar with.
    Frequently, but not always. It depends on the faction, the 'caster, and the list.

Is the heavy warjack "plastic" kit actually plastic or resin like the other stuff?
    It is the plastic/resin hybrid often called "ambrosia." In other words, an excellent modeling material.

Scout

Do people normally field multiple jacks of the same type? Or I guess does it vary from strategy to strategy? I have to admit that I've seen the most for Khador so their warjacks are the ones I'm most familiar with.
    I would recommend not buying a duplicate of anything until you've decided you really like it or want it for a particular build. for most factions, there are major differences between each 'jack or 'beast, and the first one you try might not be one you want several of. there are exceptions to that rule of course, but in general you should be trying more different models/units instead of getting several of one kind.

I have been playing for about a year now, and only have one duplicate unit and no duplicates of any Beasts or solos. I enjoy having the flexibility of having multiple types of units on the field instead of the redundancy of having several of the same model.

in the end it's a personal taste thing, and many people argue for duplicates of certain units/jacks/solos.

Chaplain

Heya- to all the guys just starting with Warma-hordes. The Big Khador-Protectorate box is worth so much and saving so much.

However, if you dont want it, most factions for the two compatible games have a starter box of a warcaster or warlock and some warjacks or warbeasts that are quite well matched against the other faction starter boxes. So its really easy to start. They dont however have units of infantry or solo's (single model units) which you can add later, so your early games are very much about your caster and their little band of robots/beasts and how they control them and get the best out of them.

The whole game seems to be about combos and synergies. Bear that in mind.

Also, by replacing your warcaster/warlock with a different one it really changes your army dramatically and it will play in a very different way.

The Hordes game starter boxes are likely to be replaced by new plasticy-resin ones in the next few months if you want to hold off.

If you are going to play with Menoth you might want to add a second Paladin and maybe two or three Vassal Mechanics sooner or later, but for now I'd follow muffinman331's advice and try as many different 'jacks and units as you like.

The two-player box is really an excellent choice for starting the game. All you will need in addition is som templates.

I still use both heavies, the Cinerators and Kreoss in quite a few games and plan to do so for at least a while (and quite frequently loose to some new trick one of my opponents discovered among the myriad of casters).

once you get the hang of it, protectorate can be pretty balls out ridiculous

it's really faction based, when I played cryx I used to run a pair of slayers with great regularity, but I know some people who would only ever use 1 of a given jack just for flavor or variety

A second to the above comments. My own experience...

Menoth is my primary Warmachine Army. There are a few pieces that should be your first steps after the Two-Player Battle Box:

Choir of Menoth - your 'jack buffing unit, makes them untouchable by ranged attacks, boosts their mediocre stats into absurdity (that cheap Crusader in your battlebox is suddenly terrifying with +2 Attack and Damage, and that Repenter that couldn't hit anything will now mow down half a unit in a single flamethrower shot)...and don't forget, your Vanquisher's blast damage gets the +2 after halving its initial POW.

Covenant of Menoth - you may not use it every game, but you will never regret bringing it - prevents knockdown, stops enemy spell-casting, incredibly annoying to try to kill for your enemy.

Temple Flameguard - Menoth has a lot of great units, but this one will probably find its way into more lists than any other - reach, combined melee, shield wall - this unit is incredibly versatile. The unit attachment is also very useful.

After that, play, play, play - with the same Warcaster. Kreoss isn't flashy, he isn't tricky, he has a simple but devastatingly powerful feat, a solid spell list, and can hold his own in melee (if he must). Give yourself several games with him before switching to a new Warcaster. Changing this piece of your army and nothing else will give you a completely different play experience. This, I think, is one of the biggest differences between Warmachine and 40K.

As for Legion...well, that's a favorite Hordes faction of mine as well. If nobody wants to go in on a Two-Player box with you, don't fret. The single player battleboxes are still a good deal, and the Legion box is no exception. Lylyth is a great starting caster, and in battlebox-level games, your opponents will come to loathe your Carnivean, which can not only tear up any heavy in the game, but is a pain to get rid of as well.

Moving on from the Battlebox, I highly recommend picking up a Shepherd and a Forsaken. Legion is much like Menoth in its need to maximize synergies and relying on its beasts...which are phenomenal. Units for Legion are more to taste. If you like Lylyth, you can't go wrong with Striders and Deathstalkers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12