BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Chaplain

Yeah that is the interpretation of that particular story I got too. That the real sin was being inhospitable to guests. But I got the impression it was a commentary on generalized hospitality towards people. Of course the failing in the story is the implication you made that it is better to give them your own family than to let them harm a guest in your house. Although I doubt the Bible actually intended to advocate that notion. I really think the basic moral of the story is "treat strangers better than you'd treat your own." That is not to say it is ok or suggested you treat your own worse mind you.
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Chaplain

I think your missing out the rape is bad part of the story. In fact, in this case rape is punishable by death from God. For trying to rape angels. Whilst a contemporary moral may be to do with hospitality I think the anti-rape message is pretty strong, as is the Love God first and above all else (including looking after angels when he sends them into your care) bit for those who want to keep the Judeo-Christian God in the story.

In the New Testament, In Hebrews it says "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." so yeah, there is certainly a hospitality message there.

So no raping. Especially angels: Nightwish (the band)- i'm looking at you.

We are waaaaay off topic.

Chaplain

The problem I have with the Bible is that the book is a collection of works from many different authors over a rather long period of time. And often it contains parts that are a retelling of something already told before in it. And of course there's the parts omitted from the the Bible by the church. Not to mention any parts yet to be discovered. It does have a value however. In particular historical accounts. And above all moral guidance.

But for that I think we only need the 10 Commandments. Only problem with them is they do not cover everything. We could make do with additional commandments.

For example:

"Thou shalt not rape another person."

And mom and dad are covered with the whole honor them bit. But what about kids? So how about having "honor thy children." After all a lot of kids are abused, neglected, molested, and more by terrible parents.

Wanna get this back on topic? Here you go:

Since the 10 Commandments are all about moral guidance and intended then to help you be a better person maybe we just need to add the 11th Commandment:

"Strive to be a good person, harm no other, and to each their own."

Right there you have all the commandments rolled into one. So when it comes to homosexuality in our world or the fictional world of the game there you have it. "To each their own."

From the views of most here it seems the consensus is nobody in the Imperium is bothered by homosexuality. It's a fictional universe. And in this instance it seems this is what players want for that fictional future: tolerance of homosexuality. We can have that in this real universe if we just strive to be good people who do not harm others and we let people be themselves...to each their own. If we can believe a future as brutal and warlike as the Imperium can tolerate homosexuality then surely our real present day world could do so too.
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

I think that we can count in the diversity opf the Imperium and Eclesiarchy. I wthink that Emire as such doeas not bother as long as thithes quota are met. I would see it from planetary culture perspective. There may be a palnetds were it is totaly accepted, the pklaned where it is prohibited as abhorent sin, and planets with anything in betwwen. And remember that aby sexuality is the powerplay of Slanesh

Brother-Captain

Ok, so ... based on this conversation, who here is planning put put together a "Village People" themed command squad?

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567