BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default A Lamentation for Medusa.

I'm watching the original "Clash of the Titans" on AMC. One of my all time favorite films. And I have always pitied Medusa. The poor woman got a raw deal in so many ways. And so I think it is important to take Medusa's side and set the record straight.

Medusa was not always a monster. Not always a Gorgon. There was a time she was a beautiful young mortal priestess of Aphrodite. And then one day Poseidon comes a calling. Those Greek gods enjoyed seducing mortals and making their lives Hell. If you were a mortal in those days you had little recourse and were subject to the whims and depredations of capricious and cruel gods.

Now put yourself in Medusa's shoes for a moment would you? There you are able to have your pick of any mortal man. Or woman if you so desired. And here's comes a powerful God wanting to get his godly groove on with you. Can you really blame her for sleeping with Poseidon? And besides, what choice did she really have anyway? If she declined he probably would have smote her somehow. Or tricked into sleeping with him somehow. So let us give Medusa a break when it comes to this.

Unfortunately she did the deed with Poseidon in Aphrodite's temple. Which apparently didn't set too well with the goddess. And it would seem even supernatural women are just as fickle and vindictive as any mortal woman. So what happens to poor Medusa? That cow Aphrodite smites her and turns her into a hideous gorgon. Gone are Medusa's ravishing looks. Gone is any chance for love and romance. And where's Poseidon in all this huh? Does he bother to intercede on Medusa's behalf? No! He seemingly abandoned her. So Medusa has lost everything. And retreats to her lonely little island lair on the edge of the Underworld.

Later on we have this clown named Perseus coming along. "Oh gee...I got a kraken to kill. But how?" Three blind old crones tell him "Whatcha gotta do is go git yerself a Medusa head and turn the kraken to stone with it." And so this "hero" trots merrily off to search for Medusa.

Meanwhile poor ol Medusa is stuck in her lair without a friend in the world. As we see it is littered with the statues that once were men. Did any of those men ever try to befriend Medusa? No! They all want to make a name for themselves in Greek legend by slaying a monster. They all want to come kill Medusa. What choice does she have but to turn them to stone eh? Should our poor Medusa just let one kill her? No, she has to defend herself.

But really? Is this necessary? Surely Medusa was lonely on her island and in need of a friend. Someone to talk to. But everyone who shows up wants to kill her. So along comes this jerk named Perseus. Let me ask you Perseus...did you ever stop to think "maybe Medusa might be willing to help me kill the kraken?" Hmmm? Maybe you could have negotiated with her.

"Medusa? Are you there my dear? I have a proposal for you. What do you say you come along with me and together we'll slay a kraken? Wouldn't it be nice to get out of the lair for a spell? See the country side? Go visit the shore? We'll even have a picnic if you'd like?"

I bet Medusa would have loved an opportunity to leave the island have someone to talk to. But no. Not you Perseus. You're a filthy murderer. That's right. Lets call it what it is. Medusa never heard of you. She never harmed you. But she had something you wanted. Something she may have done for you as a favor. But no, you're a murderer and you beheaded this tragic woman to further your own selfish needs. Some hero you are.

And so Medusa's head lies amid the stony remains of the kraken beneath the sea. With countless inquisitive sea creatures turned to stone littering the area around her. Let us all take a moment and think about the tragic story of Medusa. A beautiful woman whose only crime was knocking sandals with a god.
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Greek Miffs is Nasty.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Yeah, Medusa didn't get a good deal with that one, and Aphrodite was the epitome of Capriciousness.

God I just nostalgiaed though, I havent seen the original clash of the titans in years, total nostalgia moment. Yes I know nostalgiaed isn't a word, I am sick and feel gucky and tired, give me a break -giggles-.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Chaplain

And if I remember the original movie, doesn't Zeus place everyone in the story, including the Mother that started the trouble in the first place, in the sky as constellations. Well almost everyone, no 'Joe, the brave companion of Perseus, who laid down his live so the hero could get layed'. What *******s these gods be.