BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Grey Knights Scouts

Do the Grey Knights have scouts?

I know its usually younger people who are made into marines, but it also is said that only expirienced psykers are allowed to be GKs, in which case they would seem (to me) to be older?
    The Dark Angels, The Emperor's First, and Finest!
    A moment of Laxity spawns a lifetime of Heresy

I assume that after an initiate is trained he immediately becomes a Grey Knight without having to fight without power armor.

Chaplain

Well, I've never seen any mention of them in any sort of offical fluff... I assume that the selection and training regimen of the Grey Knights is so intensive and dangerous, the additional time spent training as a scout is unessecary. It's not like you HAVE to start as a scout, look at the Space Wolves. Last time I checked (which was admittedly before the new codex came out, so I could be wrong), they give their trainees power armor immdieatly, as only veterans are scouts.
    Proud Battlefleet Gothic evangelist. You got BFG questions? Just ask!
    Check out my fancy BoLS user blog for stories, ideas, and army lists!

Librarian

really? I thought they had scouts AND veterans in that kinda armor

I'm quite positive the only armor used by Grey Knights is Power Armor and Terminator Armor.

Librarian

So they wouldnt be drafted from other chapters like the ordos xenos deathwatch teams etc? I know it would be a tall order drafting in the whole chapter, but I figured you have to have a particular hatred for the chaos daemons to even be considered for service in the grey knights.
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Yeah, Space Wolves have hotblooded youngters as scouts they throw into battle (to weed out the overzealous ones), and then veterans who are experienced hunters.

Grey Knights don't have scouts for two reasons. Firstly, there isn't really a job for scouts to do. Grey Knights are too busy to send a squad to scout out the battlefield, especially if there aren't any Daemons there yet. The Grey Knights get a call from an Inquisitor with all the information they need, then they teleport in, kill everything, and dissapear. In a sense the Inquisitor's spy network acts as scout for the Grey Knights.

Secondly, all Grey Knight neophytes are too busy with their intensive training. Not only do they go through the normal SM training, but also training similar to Astartes Librarians. And on top of that, they have the Rites of Detestation to ensure their purity and loyalty to the Emperor. By the time they finish all this training, they are already on a level beyond that of a normal Space Marine, and are simply granted Power Armor and a place in a squad of other Grey Knights.

Librarian

ahh, but there are scouts/neophytes?

thats what i was trying to get to

Chaplain

There would have to be neophytes (everyone has to start somewhere right?), but I thought the whole scout armour thing was a step in the marine's bio-engineering before his body can be linked up fully with power armour?

To me it would seem to make more sense that Grey Knights are either sourced from other chapter's potential librarians (in which case they've already been through the scout stage of development) or they are trained in psychic techniques etc right up until they are ready to be deployed in power armour. As others have said, there doesn't really seem to be a need for Grey Knights to have scouts, they aren't a force that operates on a strategic level at all, more like a weapon that's pointed at the bad guys.

Then again who says sense has anything to do with anything?

from my knowledge putting newbies into scout armor is a thing the codex marines do to train their members and not because it is required.

afaik an ultramarine/alike goes the following route (if he survives):

scout: observe the battlefield, watch the others do the job and try not to get killed.
    devastor: now you are granted power armor and real weapons but your job is still to just sit in a convenient spot and do target practice with moving targets from afar.
    assoult marines: now you should have had enough decades of training in the sparing room as well as enough experience on the battlefield to know what is going on so you can show and further improve your melee abilities with dedicated gear.

tactical: finally with all your skills honed you are deployed as the perfect allrounder.

veterans, terminator, officers: just the rest
    dreadnought: if you get hit in a spot where the power armor isnt thick enough....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast