BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Librarian

yeah, i was just wondering

I was in a mini arguement with a GK player about this point
    The Dark Angels, The Emperor's First, and Finest!
    A moment of Laxity spawns a lifetime of Heresy

Veteran-Sergeant

There are no scouts in the Grey Knights. Our neophytes wear power armour, our brethren lead power armoured squads, our veterans wear tactical dreadnought armour, our sergeants lead Terminator squads, and our captains are Grand Masters. We are the elite. We are the Hammer.

SJ

Librarian

so reg marines in GK = neophytes/scouts?

i guess we were both right (and wrong)
    The Dark Angels, The Emperor's First, and Finest!
    A moment of Laxity spawns a lifetime of Heresy

Veteran-Sergeant

I thought young wolfs were blood claws, and the vets were forward scouts.
    We refuse to take sides in this anymore. And we refuse to let you turn us against one another. http://derinaironhandsandmorethings.blogspot.com

Also Grey Knights are not recruited from other chapters. They are taken from worlds much in the same way as other chapters.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Xas View Post
    from my knowledge putting newbies into scout armor is a thing the codex marines do to train their members and not because it is required.

afaik an ultramarine/alike goes the following route (if he survives):

scout: observe the battlefield, watch the others do the job and try not to get killed.
    devastor: now you are granted power armor and real weapons but your job is still to just sit in a convenient spot and do target practice with moving targets from afar.
    assoult marines: now you should have had enough decades of training in the sparing room as well as enough experience on the battlefield to know what is going on so you can show and further improve your melee abilities with dedicated gear.

tactical: finally with all your skills honed you are deployed as the perfect allrounder.

veterans, terminator, officers: just the rest
    dreadnought: if you get hit in a spot where the power armor isnt thick enough....

I think this is actually a bit backwards. I think you have scouts right, but I believe most go from scout to tactical, and from there both assault and devastator are futher specialized than regular tactical marines.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Aenir View Post
    ahh, but there are scouts/neophytes?

thats what i was trying to get to
    Well, of course there are Neophytes. Marines come from somewhere, don't they. The Neophytes just don't participate in battles like in most other chapters.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    I think this is actually a bit backwards. I think you have scouts right, but I believe most go from scout to tactical, and from there both assault and devastator are futher specialized than regular tactical marines.
    Nope, the current C:SM states that a Scout's first posting after he receives his power armour is to a Devastator squad (as an ablative wound, not a gun-handler). From there, they're promoted to an Assault squad, and once they've acquired a good all-round set of skills, they join the Tactical squads. Next step up from there is into the First Company.

And with regard to the Grey Knights, they're recruited straight off the Black Ships. There are neophytes, probably, because there is a LOT of training required to become a Grey Knight. However, neophyte GKs wouldn't fight alongside full brethren simply because they aren't cut out for it. Nothing short of a fully trained Grey Knight can hope to combat and destroy a daemonic threat without the risk of taint.

OK let me try to clear this up.
    Grey Knights to not have scouts they do have Neophytes which are trained on Titan a moon of Saturn.
    They do not go into battle until their training is complete and they have been given the rank of Battle Brother.
    The new Brothers are then put into squads which have taken losses and need new squad members.
    Thats how they get in.
    As far as recruiting new possible Neophytes it is from all the worlds in the Imperium and done by the Ordo Mallues via the Black Ships.

Hope this explains it for you.

Veteran-Sergeant

Seems that way. I also get the impression the new Grey Knights are grouped together under the guidance of a veteran Grey Knight that has just become a Justicar. As the squad gains experience, they may become a purgation squad or a fast attack squad. The survivors (if suitably powerful enough psykers) will become Justicars in the own right over newly formed squads of Power Armoured Knights, or move on to Tactical Dreadnought Armour and join a Brother Captain's retinue as a Grey Knight Terminator Squad. If they survive, and are powerful enough psykers, they may eventually become Brother Captains in their own right with their own retinue of Grey Knight Terminators. The next step up from there is Grand Master, and a seat on the Inquisitorial council as an equal. Such is the life of Grey Knight.

One thing of note is mention in Battle Fleet Gothic that failed Knight candidates are mind scrubbed into servitors and serve as crews for Grey Knight Strike Cruisers and the rarely seen Grey Knight Battle Barges.

SJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12