BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Praetorians and 6th. Rampant speculation.

So I was thinking about the triarch praetorians today and boggling that they are such a weak option. Especially with their weapon of choice the rod if the covenenant. We know that the Necrons are designed to be 6th Ed comparable. We can see proof of it with things like the monoliths heavy designation.

But when we look at alot of the weaker options in the codex, could we be looking at the shape of things to come? Preferred Enemy on Destroyers has most thinking that it will be effective in the shooting phase. Could 1A, jump pack close combat troops for 50 points lead us to another assumption?

Assault weapons can be used with their profile in the assault phase. It's the only thing I can think of that justifies their point cost and range.

Brother-Sergeant

there is a lot of speculation about this right now. Personally i just buy and play with the current rule set in mind. If the leaked rules and rumors are to be believed alot of the necron units will gain power with 6th edition, but my guess is those rules and rumors are based on early play test rules and will have changed considerably by the time the book is released.

Chaplain

It is pretty safe to assume that Preferred Enemy will apply to the shooting phase in 6e, but we don't know the specifics yet.

It is also pretty safe to assume that certain units can assault after Deep Striking, like Jump Infantry. There supposedly will be defensive fire so these units can be shot before they assault but certain units will be immune from it, like Vanguard Veterans. The Necron wargear for the Crypteks which work against units Deep Striking within 6" confirm that this will happen as well as the Bloodswarm Nanoscarabs rule for Imotekh the Stormlord.

We'll have to wait for a genuine leaked copy of 6e to be available to really do the math and get in some games to see what will work and what won't.
    Last edited by Necron_Lord; 03-21-2012 at 05:00 PM.

I dont know about your assault weapon prediction. But if they get the charge against a marine equ they will do pretty good. I havent figured out the pistol ccw combo yet. Too expensive to hope for rending attacks.
    For the Empire-----CHARGE!!!!!!!!!

Brother-Sergeant

I hope something happens to Rapid Fire and Sniper. Deathmarks are such cool models, it's a shame.

Brother-Captain

I don't think Praetorians are as bad as everyone's been saying...
    Granted I haven't had a chance to field any yet (I don't get many chances to play these days), but I'm hoping to run a few of them with a Destroyer Lord w/ orb - on paper it seems like it could be a pretty solid unit.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Quote Originally Posted by Necron_Lord View Post
    It is pretty safe to assume that Preferred Enemy will apply to the shooting phase in 6e, but we don't know the specifics yet.

It is also pretty safe to assume that certain units can assault after Deep Striking, like Jump Infantry. There supposedly will be defensive fire so these units can be shot before they assault but certain units will be immune from it, like Vanguard Veterans. The Necron wargear for the Crypteks which work against units Deep Striking within 6" confirm that this will happen as well as the Bloodswarm Nanoscarabs rule for Imotekh the Stormlord.

We'll have to wait for a genuine leaked copy of 6e to be available to really do the math and get in some games to see what will work and what won't.
    Very well said. For these, and other reasons, I'm not too disappointed that the Necron 2nd wave will come later than most expect. Don't want to be spending all that cash on what could be silly units.
    Ask about painting commissions and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaika87 View Post
    I hope something happens to Rapid Fire and Sniper. Deathmarks are such cool models, it's a shame.
    I think Deathmarks still have their place in the 5th meta. Twin Linking shots is no joke, especially when played with stalkers.

Librarian

I thought Praetorians were Imperial Guard guys in red jackets with pith helmets led by Michael Caine. What are you people talking about?

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Hogleg View Post
    I think Deathmarks still have their place in the 5th meta. Twin Linking shots is no joke, especially when played with stalkers.
    I think you've gotten something mixed up, the Deathmarks don't twin-link anything. All they do is let themselves and other Deathmark units wound on 2+. Admittedly, there's a good use for that against MCs, but the biggest problem with them is the short range.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast