BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thinking of starting an unusual IG army, Need help

Okay with the new warpath mantic corporation models I think I can afford a new army. The thing is that the mantic models look, cue irony, futuristic and less gothic. I would like to be able to find tanks and flyers that fit that look. Here's what I was thinking

Leman Russ count as
    [url]http://blightwheelminiatures.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-tall.html[/url]

and valkyrie count as.
    [url]http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/ttc2500.jpg[/url]

What do you think? Got any suggestions?

Those certainly do look futuristic, and I can't say that I've seen anything better myself. If you were playing against me, I wouldn't mind the flyer, but the walker I might confuse for sentinels.

Veteran-Sergeant

I think you should pool the money you saved on the troops by using Mantic minis and invest it in GW tanks and transports. Its easy for people to deal with "counts as" infantry or special characters but vehicles are much more tricky due to the size and shape of their footprint, their dimensions for cover and line of sight purposes and especially for the position and number of the hatches for shooting and the access/egress points for embarking and disembarking.

While I quite like that walker, and dimension wise it seems to fit a Russ's proportions, to me it just doesn't seem to represent the solidity of a Russ. I've seen a few pre-heresy defilers that might fit the bill a bit better, or maybe some of the old Zoids toys could be converted to give you the look you want.

I like the idea of the Mantic Corp units as IG infantry. The flyer counting as valkyre, looks good. But, the walker/tank as a Leman Russ, not so much. It doesn't quite fit with what you're trying to accomplish. Armorcast has some interesting tank/carrier kits as does puppetswar. If you're going for a tank, use a tank (i.e. tread-based) model. Other than that, it sounds great and should look better!

I have to echo the sentiment that the dimensions are all wrong. Other companies models for infantry aren't that big of a deal because you can put them on the same base and they are all roughly the same size.

But different vehicle models is harder. There isn't much the same size and shape as GW vehicles. Different companies models are going to play different because of their different size, and even if it's 99% disadvantageous the 1% advantage you get from it will cause problems.

Scout

As everybody else is saying, unless the vehicle is basically the same looking as the GW model, you are going to have a of people complaining. For example, people modifying their defilers to "look cooler" when in reality they're just giving them a lower profile and therefore giving an advantage.

Ignore the haters, it's a game with plastic mans. I think they look awesome, and are almost the exact dimensions of a Leman Russ.

Cheers.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by L192837465 View Post
    Ignore the haters, it's a game with plastic mans. I think they look awesome, and are almost the exact dimensions of a Leman Russ.

Cheers.
    I agree, if the vehicle in question has the same footprint and overall scale like gw original stuff people normally are okay about this. After all there was a time with official vehicle construction rules and not using the results now would be a disgrace so why not start something new? And mantic infantry is nice not only regarding the spent €/$/bananas but is less of heroic scale crap. One of my mates who is into historical wargaming calls the imperial guard "28mm miniatures ... ON STERIODS". Maybe the dominance of 2 meter power armoured freaks makes everything bulky when they design humans. I hope my chaos boys are not reading this

The only kind of person who routinely objects to an unusual army containing no citadel minis is the new kid who just spend an awful lot of cash under the guidance of a redshirt, but outside this microcosmos let creativity reign!

Antenocitis do some very nice 'hard sci-fi' vehicles.

[url]www.antenocitisworkshop.com/[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast