BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chaos proxys

Veteran-Sergeant

I've started using forgeworld plague toads as beasts of nurgle, since they are actually cheaper, lol.

Though you could, why would you? The chaos marines have so much more flavor, spikes, and skulls! I find myself wanting to use chaos models as my normal marines!

A combination of loyalists and CSM parts can also create some pretty cool and unique models if you are conversion inclined...

Quote Originally Posted by Silverclaw View Post
    A combination of loyalists and CSM parts can also create some pretty cool and unique models if you are conversion inclined...
    Agreed

Brother-Sergeant

What would y'all use as a proxy for a Defiler? Most things have some equivalent in the Marine army but this one I am not sure. I assume that a regular Dreadnought would be too small (though again, I guess it falls under a "whatever your opponent will allow" type setting).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Sanchez View Post
    Though you could, why would you? The chaos marines have so much more flavor, spikes, and skulls! I find myself wanting to use chaos models as my normal marines!
    Price, for one. My Raptors are Assault Marines with spikes, literally. I didn't get Raptors because 1) I don't like the pose of the models (though design is great), 2) metal and finecast are a butt to convert for someone with no skills developed for it, and 3) They were cheaper! With a box of Chaos Marines and Assault Marines, I have 1 "Tac" squad and 1 Spiked Assault demi-squad.

Quote Originally Posted by herigonz View Post
    What would y'all use as a proxy for a Defiler? Most things have some equivalent in the Marine army but this one I am not sure. I assume that a regular Dreadnought would be too small (though again, I guess it falls under a "whatever your opponent will allow" type setting).
    That's a tough one. There really isn't a good proxy for it on the Loyalist Marine side... Especially without heavy conversion. Soul Grinder would be valid. Maybe a Land Raider with a Vindicator Gun on the front and Dreadnought/Defiler legs and arms grafted on some how...

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by herigonz View Post
    There's been talk at my LGS about making a chaos dreadknight conversion and running it with defiler rules.

Brother-Sergeant

Man, converting a Dreadknight would be quite awesome! I was mostly asking for using units as proxies. I've been wanting to play Chaos but only have Loyalist marines myself. I just wanna try it out before the codex changes. About the only thing (outside of a Daemon Prince and Daemons) that I cannot proxy 1 for 1 is the Defiler.

But now I wonder...

Scout

I can't see any reason why not. As long as all wargear is represented, the models should still be tourney legal. Cosmetics don't matter for legality in tourneys.

Mysterex beat me to it, but yes you can pretend they are Alpha Legion in disguise, or a recently rebelling unit. The Imperial Armour books dealing with the Badab War show how the Astral Claws became the Chaos worshipping Red Corsairs, there would have doubtless been times when their equipment still had its original paint job! The first Vraks book from Imperial Armour also has Alpha Legion in disguise, and a list you can use with them that includes rebel Imperial Guard. The list and its FAQ are free to download on the ForgeWorld website's downloads page.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12